Page 83 of 92 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with the network driver being very slow to load and connect after resuming from suspend? I'm on 12.04.
    Same here!

Beans

@dfacto: yes, it's much slower on 12.04 than it was on 11.10... it also bugs me having to wait those extra seconds for the wifi to connect when resuming.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poliva View Post
    Wiki page updated with instructions for 12.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2
    I just tried those instructions and they don't quite work.

the script they tell you download and run does not work because the directory structure is different with 12.04. I changed the script a little bit to point to the right files but it doesn't boot up giving the error

mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem/squashfs failed no such device

cannot mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem/squashfs) on (//filesystem.squashfs)

Just FYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How is the external monitor support running Ubuntu 12.04? I am thinking of getting one of these but I want to connect it to an external display.
    "Don't Panic"

Beans

Hi guys,

in the guide you pointed me to: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2 they say:

The MacBookAir4,2 has no CD/DVD drive, and cannot start Ubuntu from a USB stick created using the standard tools. However, a script is available that will create a suitable USB image - do not believe the opinion widely expressed on other websites that it is necessary to purchase an Apple Superdrive. Note that: lines 21 and 22 of the script need to be edited in accordance with the adjacent comments; the script must be run from within Ubuntu and will not work under OS X, so you'll need another PC with Ubuntu (possibly running from a Live CD or Live USB image) to complete the task; and the script will not work on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Once the script has been edited, it must be made executable and executed with root privileges:

Code:
    cd [path to script]
    chmod a+x setup_mac_usb_boot.sh
    sudo ./setup_mac_usb_boot.sh
    This doesn't seem to apply to me, as I actually followed this guide to make a bootable usb from osx: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-mac-osx
    and I can boot into ubuntu live from the USB with no problems.

Can I install ubuntu right from there then?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poliva View Post
    @dfacto: yes, it's much slower on 12.04 than it was on 11.10... it also bugs me having to wait those extra seconds for the wifi to connect when resuming.
    Wonder if this is a window mgr thing...no noticable wifi issues when using fluxbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod777 View Post
    How is the external monitor support running Ubuntu 12.04? I am thinking of getting one of these but I want to connect it to an external display.
    Well, connecting to an external monitor is fine, just like configuring one. But what is not working fine is when you disconnect the monitor...
    Display turns black.
    After that I have to go to a tty and restart lightdm service to get the xserver to find my display again.

So now I close all my important programs before I disconnect so that I can savely restart X.

Beans

I'm also having issues with my external monitor; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I have to let the computer go into screen-saving and at resume it works ...

I haven't found a rule to always have the external monitor working, so, in order to have it working, my safe bet is to boot with the 3.2.0-17 kernel, which always makes the external monitor work.

HTH
    Last edited by zmiq2; May 10th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Beans

Ditto on the external monitor. I'm connecting via thunderbold/hdmi and having to use Ubuntu2D to function in 12.04. In 11.10 I could use the 3D desktop and just closing and opening (not suspending - AC is connected) the lid would correct the external display (sometimes orange, sometimes black).

I've run xorg-edgers with the latest kernel and there seems to be no progress (assuming the problem is in the driver or kernel) upstream. I don't see any errors logged to correlate with the display problems, so I'm not sure how to report this bug with any useful detail. I'd like to get this bug reported properly. Has anyone here attempted a bug report and can you post a link?

Anyone know if this is somehow specific to the Macbook Air or are other Sandy Bridge platforms having the same issue(s). I was hoping that it would get ironed out given how common these graphics are. And hey, even Linus uses a Macbook Air, but I guess he doesn't connect it to an external monitor

Beans

Hi Berryman,

regarding the external monitor issue, I'm following this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/929635

but I doesn't seem to have many activity since last month ....

HTH

Page 83 of 92 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast