Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Hi jonny,

Thanks for the reply.

Being relatively new to ubuntu, is there an easy upgrade path from 11.10 to 12.04, or is it a compete re-install?

Kindest regards
    James

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7262 View Post
    Hi jonny,

Thanks for the reply.

Being relatively new to ubuntu, is there an easy upgrade path from 11.10 to 12.04, or is it a compete re-install?

Kindest regards
    James
    When it's released, you'll be prompted to upgrade within a day or two. If you're feeling impatient, you can upgrade to the latest daily release with the command
    Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    You might get cleaner results with a fresh installation if you've messed around with your 11.10 installation trying to get it to work properly. Otherwise, an upgrade will be fine. I have one computer that I've upgraded through ten different release cycles with no significant problems.

Beans

I should say, though, that a fresh installation is usually much faster - 5 minutes to download and burn the USB stick and another 10 to install it. Upgrading can take several hours on a slower PC, although it should be much faster on an Air due to the SSD. I'll find out for myself in a few days.

Beans

Hi Jonny,

The touchpad now works as expected, thank you.

Just in case anybody else wants to try this - this was my experience:
    I had to change some settings before the upgrade would work, I found I had it set to Long term upgrades only initially.
    The upgrade took about 45 minutes in total. (This is on the 11" Macbook air with 4GB memory)
    I have Ubuntu on an 8GB partition and during the upgrade it got to within a couple of hundred MB (mega) of full.
    After the upgrade I'm back to about 1GB (giga) free.
    On the initial restart the touchpad didn't work at all, I plugged in a mouse and installed gpointing and touchegg (not sure yet which one solved the problem) the touchpad now works fine.
    Also initially the keyboard was very slow in responding to key presses but on second restart that seemed to sort itself out.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is screen brightness, any ideas on this?

(Update - Did a clean install of 12.04 using AMD64+Mac.iso, everything works, and takes 2.5GB of my 8 GB partition. And for Washakie below - this was on an 11" Macbook Air bought in London about 3 weeks ago)

Kindest regards
    James
    Last edited by jrm7262; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Beans

Jonny et al,

I'm thinking to buy a new MBA 11" with the i7 processor. I'm after the hardware, and I want to put 12.04 on it. It seems there is a variety fo possibilities, and from what I've found it seems the hardware will be mostly supported. What I haven't been able to understand is whether I go to the applestore.com today and order the machine, will it be a 4.2 Mac?

I just want to make sure that all the 'successful' installation stories are working with contemporary hardware, and that Apple hasn't done anything to make it more difficult to install a more open OS on their hardware.

Could someone post a link to the most recent and complete set of tutorials to follow to do the installation? I would currently start with the ubuntu forums guides, but if there is anything else I should be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by washakie View Post
    Jonny et al,

I'm thinking to buy a new MBA 11" with the i7 processor. I'm after the hardware, and I want to put 12.04 on it. It seems there is a variety fo possibilities, and from what I've found it seems the hardware will be mostly supported. What I haven't been able to understand is whether I go to the applestore.com today and order the machine, will it be a 4.2 Mac?

I just want to make sure that all the 'successful' installation stories are working with contemporary hardware, and that Apple hasn't done anything to make it more difficult to install a more open OS on their hardware.

Could someone post a link to the most recent and complete set of tutorials to follow to do the installation? I would currently start with the ubuntu forums guides, but if there is anything else I should be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks!
    If you buy one today from Apple, it will be a 4.2 Mac. It's impossible to guarantee that Apple won't have suddenly decided to change supplier for some components, but that seems unlikely.

Based on others' recent experieces, you're best to install the Mac version of Ubuntu 12.04 - even though it's not yet been formally released - rather than 11.10. Most of this thread and most of the MAcbook Air 4,2 page on the Ubuntu wiki concerns workarounds needed for 11.10 and can therefore be safely ignored. I'm not using 12.04 myself yet, so I can't point to definitive instructions. However, the general approach will be to:

1. Download the latest version of 12.04 AMD64 for Mac, using either the latest Beta or the latest daily snapshot according to your appetite for stability vs recency.

2. Follow the instructions on the Ubuntu Wiki to burn a USB stick and install the software, including the steps for Refit.

3. DON'T attempt to install any of the post-installation patches

I'm sure that someone who's already installed 12.04 will be along to add extra details if I've missed anything out.

Beans

Thanks this is helpful. I'll probably go ahead an wait until 12.04 is official anyway, not for any other reason than I won't have the hardware before then.

I'm glad you included the part about the post install scripts. Thanks again for the response!

This is my 'starting' point:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2

In the meantime, I also noticed this thread was just produced, so I'll follow it:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1963418

Lastly, it seems there are a variety of bugs to follow up on here:
    https://launchpad.net/+search?field.....search=Search

I've found no 'walk through tutorial' on line so far.. so if anyone knowledgeable is listening 8)

Beans

Hi washakie,

i have a 11'' mba, i7, 6g RAM with ubuntu 12.10.

Everything is running great except:

- cannot play non-flash videos (computer hangs)

- issues with external monitor; I can only have the external monitor running with an ld kernel ....

HTH

Beans

I just installed the xorg-edges ppa, and now everything seems to work fine: external monitor, video playing, suspend-resume !!

HTH

Beans

Hi zmiq2,

Ive just had a problem with the cursor freezing after a suspend/resume cycle.
    You say you installed the xorg-edges ppa and it seems to have solved the suspend-resume problems you had.

So my question is : What is the "xorg-edges ppa" and how do I install it?

Kindest regards
    James

Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast