Page 71 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

I need help with the installation of ubuntu on my 2011 macbook air and I didn't know if I should make a new thread, so here I am.

I already have rEfit, I used to have a windows partition alongside mac OSX but I delete that one and made another for ubuntu.
    I created a bootable USB drive following the instructions of the ubuntu installation page, but I'm not sure it was created properly, as it does not appear in the refit boot menu.
    Is it normal that the .iso I downloaded has wubi.exe in it? Do all the ubuntu images have that , even if you don't want it?
    I don't have a superdrive so please don't ask me to make a bootable CD, I can only use USBs.

Since refit doesn't recognize my usb key does that mean it was not properly created? Or must I do something else?

I also think that my refit might be... bugged (or something like that).
    Because when I had 1 single partition (after removing my windows partition), it still showed "Mac OSX Lion" AND "Boot legacy disk" in the boot page. Is that normal, even though I had nothing connected on my mac and only 1 partition in it?

Beans

Follow the install instructions in the wiki, you will find the right ISO to download and a script to make a proper bootable USB from the ISO.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poliva View Post
    Follow the install instructions in the wiki, you will find the right ISO to download and a script to make a proper bootable USB from the ISO.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2
    Thanks but... After running the script I get those at the last lines:
    unmount: /dev/sdb: not mounted
    sudo: aptitude: command not found
    syslinux: invalid media signature (not a FAT filesystem?)

I'm on another PC running ubuntu 11.10.
    Any help?

EDIT: I ran apt-get install aptitude and it fixed the sudo:aptitude error.
    But I still get syslinux: invalid media etc.
    How can i fix that?
    Last edited by orfeas0; January 27th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orfeas0 View Post

Any help?

How can i fix that?

I encountered the same problem while installing ubuntu via USB.
    Unfortunately I didn't find a way to make this work, so I just bought Superdive to install ubuntu from CD.
    I think maybe there is something wrong with the USB scripts, or the wiki could be more specific about the steps.

Beans

Any help?

How can i fix that?
    From memory, the script is fussy about whether the USB stick is mounted before you start. I think then it expects it to be mounted, but I might be wrong.

The easiest way to ensure it's mounted is to browse to the folder in Nautilus (the standard ubuntu file browser) and then to close your Nautilus window (to ensure nothing is accidentally locked) before you run the script. If that doesn't work, try ejecting the drive with Nautilus (there's a button to do this in the left hand pane) and running the script again.

Beans

I finally managed to work it!
    I didn't actually make a usb with the script as described, I just followed the ubuntu-on-mac instructions on the ubuntu download page but using the mac iso given above.
    It didn't boot normally at first time and I had to enter the recovery mode, and in there installed the post-install oneiric script. I had to install the lcd panel driver and reboot quite some times for it to work witohut recovery mode but it works now.
    If anyone needs help with the process post here. Point is you don't really need that script to make a bootable usb, it can be done in mac OSX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I finally managed to work it!
    I didn't actually make a usb with the script as described, I just followed the ubuntu-on-mac instructions on the ubuntu download page but using the mac iso given above.
    It didn't boot normally at first time and I had to enter the recovery mode, and in there installed the post-install oneiric script. I had to install the lcd panel driver and reboot quite some times for it to work witohut recovery mode but it works now.
    If anyone needs help with the process post here. Point is you don't really need that script to make a bootable usb, it can be done in mac OSX
    Also, you can do all the steps under OSX by simply installing the dependencies with port.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Also, you can do all the steps under OSX by simply installing the dependencies with port.
    What steps under OSX and what dependencies with port?

I followed this instructions (before install):
    Download the desired file
    Open the Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/ or query Terminal in Spotlight)
    Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/ubuntu.iso)
    Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.
    Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices
    Insert your flash media
    Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)
    Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)
    Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.img or ./ubuntu.dmg).
    Using /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk may be faster.
    If you see the error dd: Invalid number '1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M.
    If you see the error dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use. Start the 'Disk Utility.app' and unmount (don't eject) the drive.
    Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes
    Restart your Mac and press alt while the Mac is restarting to choose the USB-Stick
    And post-install i ran the oneiric script.
    What you must be aware:
    USE THE MAC ISO (It might work with the other one but I wouldn't recomment it).
    After installation, it will probably give you a black screen when trying to log in ubuntu.
    LOGIN IN RECOVERY MODE. Install the oneiric script in recovery mode.
    After the oneiric install, if normal mode doesn't work, reinstall the LCD driver (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2#LCD) in recovery mode.
    repeat the last steps as necessary

Beans

Latest batch of ubuntu updates for 11.10

I ran the latest updates via the update manager, I noticed there were some kernel updates so I waited until I was home until ran these, because usually I have to run the post-install-oneiric.sh script to get the system working again.

Downloaded the latest "post-install-oneiric.sh" script dated 15JAN2012, and ran updates, via update manager (257 in total) and then ran the post-install scrip after the first reboot.

I did have a problem with the mouse pointer (cursor) freezing up, (had this issue since ubuntu changed something in October) but I have always been able to log-out, and re-login again, and everything would spring to life, but not this time.

I will attempt to re-run the post-install a 2nd time, but I doubt it will make any difference.

Anyone experiencing this? frozen cursor..? after latest updates?

Beans

Ubuntu latest updates (11.10)

Frozen Cursor + Keyboard Brightness permanently set to "High"

Anyone know a way to roll-back, just these latest updates..? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Page 71 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast