Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

As mentioned in my previous posts I've been having serious issues on resuming from suspend. This fails after about 3 or 4 suspends, pretty systematically. I haven't been able to determine if happens only when I suspend by shutting the lid or on both shut lid and manual suspend (i.e. from the menu). In any case I'd like to document the symptoms here to see if anyone has some advice. I am currently using the non-edgers drivers but I think I'm going to switch to edgers to see if it fixes the problem.

I seem to be having two different kinds of resume failures.

1. The much more common one is the following. I will resume from suspend but rather than getting a password-prompt-screen I am dumped straight into the running X session. The latter however is either already frozen or freezes very quickly. I can still switch to the console though and the machine is responsive. When I check the log files I find the following every time I try to go back into X (ctrl-alt-F7):

Oct 31 21:02:38 sliver acpid: client 1107[0:0] has disconnected
    Oct 31 21:02:38 sliver acpid: client connected from 1107[0:0]
    Oct 31 21:02:38 sliver acpid: 1 client rule loaded
    Oct 31 21:02:38 sliver kernel: [ 3699.062830] [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id

The xorg.log also yields something but i'm not sure if this happens when I switch back to X or to the console from X:

[ 3329.534] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
    [ 3329.534] (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
    [ 3329.535] (EE) intel(0): Couldn't create pixmap for fbcon
    [ 3329.672] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "APP", prod id 40159
    [ 3329.672] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
    [ 3329.672] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 91.54 1440 1504 1546 1652 900 903 909 926 -hsync -vsync (55.4 kHz)
    [ 3329.886] (--) bcm5974: touchpad found
    [ 3333.172] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

If, from the console I "restart lightdm" then X successfully restarts and I can continue using the machine.

2. Case (1) above is by far the more frequent case but there has been at least one time when my machine resumes as above, straight to X rather than to a password-prompt-screen, but unlike case (1) the machine is totally unresponsive and will not switch to a terminal. In this case I had to hard reboot and then checked the post reboot logs. In this case I found the pm-suspend log ends with the lines:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/novatel_3g_suspend resume suspend: success.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend:

So it looked like it froze on the 99video script. Looking around the other logs however I see that many other logs end on wireless related activity and (as I've posted about earlier) I've had some very strange wireless issues where the wireless driver can basically block any process trying to access anything network related. I have a feeling this is what is at play here so I'm somewhat less concerned by this kind of freeze.

If anyone has any feedback on what might be causing freeze (1) or how to better debug it please let me know. It seems to be an issue with the framebuffer but I'm quite ignorant of the driver setup on this machine (as I benefited from dfacto's work and just used his script). I'm planning to re-install the xorg-edgers drivers to see if this helps avoid this problem but if anyone has some better or alternate advice please let me know. It does seem that this machine really doesn't want to work under linux as I seem to have one problem after another but I'm not giving up (yet :->).

Beans

An update: installing xorg-edgers drivers didn't so much fix the problem as alter it. First after resuming the backlight wouldn't work (so the screen stayed dim no matter how high I turned up the brightness). Switching to a console and back to X seemed to fix this problem. Also, rather than resuming to a password prompt it would resume straight to an unprotected X session.

Finally after a few cycles of the above it resumed to the password prompt but wouldn't except any input and X seemed frozen. Closing the lid would suspend the machine but it would wake up in the same place -- with X frozen. I didn't see much noticeable in the logs. Restarting "lightdm" worked and brought back up a workable X session but of course this requires killing the old session.

Is no one else having similar problems? Maybe I should consider a re-install?

Does anyone else have a fully happily working maxed out 13" (i7, 4 gb ram, 256 gb ram) - if so I'd like to hear about it. There may be variations between the models so I wanna check if the problem is just a bad install or is an issue of the maxed out model (like the screen flickering discussed in previous posts).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Mine is fully working but it is the 13" 128gb i5.

There are:
    two cpus
    two disk manufacturers
    two disk sizes
    two screen manufacturers
    two screen sizes

There are less than 2^5=32 configurations since not all options are available for every configuration. Essentially there are 4 possible 11" configurations (2 disk manuf and 2 screen manuf) and 16 possible 13" configurations (2 disk sizes, 2 disk manuf, 2 cpu, 2 screen manuf).

The disk should be independent of your problem. You have a 13". CPU could be related (but I doubt it). You therefore have to find a 13" with an i7 and your screen manuf to make an accurate comparison. Of the 13" they are 50/50 screen manuf. Probably there is significantly more i5's than i7's so this could be problematic for you. You can then say that maybe you have .5*.3=.15 chance of finding a similar model (say 30/70 for i5/i7) of the 13" people.

There are maybe 20 posters on this forum. If 15 are 13" then we can maybe expect 2.25 people with your config (you are one of them). Will the other person please stand-up?
    Last edited by dfacto; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jebus_beler View Post
    Does anyone else have a fully happily working maxed out 13" (i7, 4 gb ram, 256 gb ram) - if so I'd like to hear about it.
    I have one here, my setup is as follows:
    Model: MBA13 - i7 - 4GB
    Pannel: LP133WP1-TJA3
    SSD: SM256C

No problems so far, everything working without any glitches.

Beans

MBA 4,2 running hotter under 11.10 than with OS X Lion

First, a thanks for all those who put in work to get Ubuntu running on the MBA 4,2. I'm generally pleased with how it is running after following the setup instructions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2.

I received my MBA just a few days ago and the install went smoothly. Other than getting used to new keys and a new OS (I was running Lucid on my previous notebook), the only issue I've noticed is heat production. At first (and completely subjective), I noticed that it felt a little warm on my lap while running 11.10 instead of Lion. So I took the next step (a little less subjective), and used an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature at the center of the keyboard over time.

For the measurements, the MBA is placed on a desk with an HDMI output to a larger screen and a USB keyboard (Kinesis Advantage Pro) attached. The ambient temperature is about 70 deg. F. Wireless networking is on and connected to a 5 GHz access point. With low CPU tasks (web browsing and editing in VI), I took periodic readings using an infrared thermometer pointed at the center of the keyboard until the temperature became mostly constant.

What I found is that while running OS X Lion, the temperature settles to about 80 deg. F. While running Ubuntu 11.10, it settles to about 88 deg. F. Even as I write this under Ubuntu, the temperature in the center of the keyboard reads 88 deg. F. Additionally, my sensors output is as follows:

Code:
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Physical id 0:  +64.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 0:         +64.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1:         +64.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

applesmc-isa-0300
    Exhaust  :   3672 RPM  (min = 3675 RPM)
    The CPU load in both instances is quite low and voltage step down is working, with all cores running at 800 MHz. While in Lion, at idle the highest CPU usage is just < 1% (I forget what process is highest). In Ubuntu, the highest usage is around 2% (compiz).

Though the battery life estimates are made quite differently in each OS, I think this is very likely reducing the runtime under Ubuntu. Under OS X, the estimate is about 7 hours. Under Ubuntu, it is about 5 hours. My primary concern is heat output because one of the main reasons I bought a MBA was for its low heat output, which is acceptable under Lion, but currently not under Ubuntu. Though battery life is also of concern as I imagine it will be to others running Ubuntu on an MBA.

I'd be glad to post other figures to help validate the findings and isolate the source of the extra heat. I'm excited about using Ubuntu on my new MBA and hope I can help to resolve this issue for myself and for other users that may be experiencing this problem.

Beans

Re: MBA 4,2 running hotter under 11.10 than with OS X Lion

berryman77, how warm is your room? These are the readings for my 13" i5 Air on an unusually balmy November evening in Wales - it feels like maybe 21C in my kitchen:
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Physical id 0: +57.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 0: +57.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1: +57.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

applesmc-isa-0300
    Exhaust : 1994 RPM (min = 2000 RPM)
    No problems with overheating here.

Unless, of course, the kids nick the Air to play Minecraft - in which case the power draw is so great that the lights go dim in Chicago. I firmly believe that Minecraft is solely responsible for the entire worldwide increase in greenhouse gas emissions observed over the past 12 months.

Beans

@dfacto: thanks, as always, for the useful reply. I think jbraun, who posted about the graphics flickering problem also had a maxed out model so I think I've hit my statistical limit. He on the other hand did share my flickering problem but apparently not the others.

@poliva: Thanks for the response. I think that's the exact same model I have (and maybe jbraun too). Do you notice any problems with the screen seeming to flicker. Its not always easy to reproduce this but if you find the right color its very noticeable. For me its the color of the default ubuntu terminal (just maximize it and turn up the brightness).

I think my suspend issue might be more unity related than X. I haven't yet tested this enough but KDE seemed much more stable on resumes and actually, after the last ubuntu update, even Unity is doing better though its still a bit chittery (and seems to have another bug that the launcher now shows a new copy of each app after a suspend/resume cycle). I'll play with this more and see how it goes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by berryman77 View Post
    Code:
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Physical id 0:  +64.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1:         +64.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

applesmc-isa-0300
    Exhaust  :   3672 RPM  (min = 3675 RPM)
    I get similar output:

Code:
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Physical id 0:  +65.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1:         +65.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

applesmc-isa-0300
    Exhaust  :   1999 RPM  (min = 1988 RPM)
    I used to think that macfand was configured to spin up the fans too fast but checking the temps (the CPU getting up to 80 a lot) I'm not sure that's true. I did, in any case, bump up the max temps in macfanctl by about 5 degrees.

Rather, I think this is another unity bug... compiz seems to often be eating 8% or more of the cpu for no good reason. i could be wrong (i.e. some process like firefox refreshing a lot and driving compiz) but it seemed to me like kde ran a lot cooler. But to be fair I haven't done much in KDE so maybe I just had less running. Will try to use it a bit to check but anyone else who has it installed might also want to compare.

Beans

I'm wondering what people are using to disable the touchpad while typing? In Unity there's some setting to do this but I find it relatively ineffective. When I was in KDE I discovered syndaemon and found the settings:

syndaemon -i 2 -d -t -K

to work pretty well. Actually when I started this post I thought that syndaemon conflicted with Unity's settings (it froze my mouse and i had to suspend/resume to unfreeze it) but now i realized that if I disable the "Disable touchpad while typing feature" in Unity and just run syndaemon then it works fine.

Hope this might be useful to other and if anyone has a better setup please let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    berryman77, how warm is your room? These are the readings for my 13" i5 Air on an unusually balmy November evening in Wales - it feels like maybe 21C in my kitchen:

No problems with overheating here.
    @jonny

The air temp is 21C. Are you running Unity with Compiz? Mine's an 13" i5 also.

Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast