Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

User4519 Guest

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    What's up with the option being called discard? Wouldn't trim or ssd like btrfs make more sense?
    Totally agree I guess if you asked them, they'd probably have a really good reason. If anything, I think stuff like that ought to have some kind of standard, so that even if they thought "butterflies" would be the proper name to use, than all FSes would use it. I mean, it's noatime regardless of the filesystem AFAIK, why not stick with that consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    One thing that might make a lot of sense is backups. Apparently SSDs are not the most reliable. So, while the SSD might not break because it's written to, it might just up and die anyway. Check out this article at coding horror: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...ive-scale.html.
    Good link - I remember reading that after having bought my insanely expensive OCZ Vertex II 240G and thinking, "dammit!". I actually bought that SSD prematurely to add to either the ASUS or the Lenovo I was planning on getting, and now it turns out I'm getting an Air which won't eat my drive anyway. LOL, that's one lesson learned for not being so damn impatient next time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Actually I am reading that discard may not be the best choice either. This guy has found that his SSD is better off with an fstrim cron job....

Beans
    Distro

oops--dup

Beans
    Distro

@berto That article is from Jan--if you use the xorg-edgers ppa then you get this and it still won't work. It is possible that v2.15 intel driver will work tho as I haven't tried this (per Jonny's suggestion).

I should add that when I used xorg-edgers in Natty there was no improvement over the default install. When I used edgers in Oneiric I wasn't even able to get the failsafe display device to work (so not even 1024x768 ). This may actually be a good thing--it may mean that the intel driver was loading but that it bugged out.

I didn't save the log but I recall it was "/dev/fb0 missing" (this is the failsafe error). The intel driver listed support for sandy bridge-integrated. Anyway, I reverted to Natty and will upgrade if someone is able to get video to work (and this is a required step).
    Last edited by dfacto; July 27th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

Beans

dfacto and Sarvatt, exactly which version(s) of Ubuntu did you use - ie 32/64 bit desktop/server, etc? And how did you install it - did you use an external CD drive or DD a live USB onto a spare partition? Did you use ReFIT or GRUB, and on which partitions?

There are recurrent horror stories on the web about recent Macs being completely borked by linux installations - even Michael Larabel of Phoronix has fallen victim with a new generation Mac Mini - and, while I'm well up for compiling a fresh graphics stack from source, I'm rather keen to avoid destroying some shiny new hardware.

Reports of failure all seem to involve 64 bit installs without the use of ReFIT. How did you keep the EFI demons at bay?

Beans
    Distro

I used 64bit-desktop-natty and 64bit-desktop-oneiric (the one specifically built for mac). Both were the live cds which I booted from using a borrowed superdrive ($79...are you kidding me?!). I have the MacBookAir4,2.

I installed both natty and oneiric (separately of course) by basically following the mactel guide in the ubuntu community docs. It was a piece of cake. Here are my steps (from memory so could be wrong).
    Code:
     1) boot mac osx and install all/any updates
     2) install refit, reboot, choose mac os x
     3) start "disk utilities" and repartition mac osx to 32gb and the remaining to msdos (fat) [i hate so you may want to go 50/50 or something]
     4) shutdown
     5) power on and select resync from refit hit y then choose power down
     6) power on, load macosx and plug-in superdrive. insert natty or oneiric-alpha-2 
     7) reboot and select "boot from legacy cdrom" (there was also a bootx64.efi but i ignored it)
     8) when screen turns purple hit space bar
     9) select language
    10) hit F6 then escape and after the "--" type " nomodeset" and hit enter (I couldn't understand the pop-up menu--better to just type it myself.)
    11) load gparted and repartition the empty space; i did:
          (leftover...something like 70gb) ext4 /home
          12288   ext4  /
           6144   swap
    12) "install ubuntu"
    13) choose "other configuration" and map as above (also did reformat).  Also *Important*: set boot drive to the "/" partition (for me this was sda4)
    15) proceed with install
    16) reboot select resync from refit and hit y.  power down from refit.
    17) power on, choose ubuntu, type 'e' add "nomodeset" and hit F10
    18) once in ubuntu edit /etc/default/grub to have nomodeset and then invoke update-grub
    All set!

When all done I booted into mac osx and did the bless thing, ie
    Code:
    bless --device /dev/disk0s4 --setBoot --legacy
    but it didn't seem to make any difference. Note: your partition might be different, to find out:
    Code:
    diskutils list
    During several points while trying to figure this out things seemed to hang--when that does I typed ctrl-shift-power to shut off.

If you use refit and a superdrive I *really* don't see how you could brick your machine. Anyway, it should still be under warranty right?

Finally regarding phoronix--this article is accurate but has nothing to do with bricking the machine. High quality video will simply not work (as the article indicates). You will be stuck at a fuzzy (stretched) 1024x768 until the intel video driver is fixed (this includes xorg-edgers as of this writing).
    OOPS: Guess I didn't read far enough in! Well that *is* scary but luckily no such issues on the MBA4,2 and of course phoronix was working with the mac mini.
    Last edited by dfacto; July 28th, 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    dfacto and Sarvatt, exactly which version(s) of Ubuntu did you use - ie 32/64 bit desktop/server, etc? And how did you install it - did you use an external CD drive or DD a live USB onto a spare partition? Did you use ReFIT or GRUB, and on which partitions?

There are recurrent horror stories on the web about recent Macs being completely borked by linux installations - even Michael Larabel of Phoronix has fallen victim with a new generation Mac Mini - and, while I'm well up for compiling a fresh graphics stack from source, I'm rather keen to avoid destroying some shiny new hardware.

Reports of failure all seem to involve 64 bit installs without the use of ReFIT. How did you keep the EFI demons at bay?
    resized disk, installed refit, manually ran the refit install script afterwards, created natty livecd from 64 bit amd+mac desktop disk using this method:http://www.devslashzero.com/node/160, rebooted into refit, picked the boot linux option, picked nomodeset in the installer menu and installed. the biggest headache in the whole process was that liveusb's created via usb-creator-gtk didn't work.

Beans
    Distro

@Sarvatt So what exactly is the difference between the vanilla amd64 desktop and the amd64+mac desktop? I can't seem to find the distinction anywhere...

Beans

I can confirm a brick-free install of both 64-bit natty and 64-bit oneiric. My process for installing was:

• resizing the partition
    • installing rEFIt
    • rebooting 3 or so times for rEFIt to show up when booting
    • download an ubuntu ISO
    • created hybrid ISO following instructions at http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-instal...sb-flash-drive
    • booted into USB and installed
    • switch between OS X and ubuntu using rEFIt at boot

So far, no badness aside from not having the system dialed in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    @Sarvatt So what exactly is the difference between the vanilla amd64 desktop and the amd64+mac desktop? I can't seem to find the distinction anywhere...
    This is a great question; I was wondering the same thing.

Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast