Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 922

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

  1. #381
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    141

    Wink Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    One praise, three questions.

    First of all, this work is fantastic — you're a life saver and I hope you realize how many people you're touching in a good way doing what you're doing here! Thank you

    Question 1) All of this debugging and fixing and whatnot. I have yet to actually install Ubuntu — been living (not to disgrunted, but with a rising urge to "return home") with Mac OS X since I bought the MBA a couple of months back now. Is the original "here's my script" post still up-to-date with all that's been accumulated fixes and knowledge wise? I have more than a dozen bookmarks from following this thread for when I finally get the time to install Ubuntu.

    Question 2) Is this going into mainline before Oneiric launch? As in we won't have to run the post install script, it'll just work OOTB? Not that it's difficult to run the script, but this stuff needs to go help more people than the ones following this thread I think.

    Question 3) Are you a doctor yet?

    Cheers,
    Daniel

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    5

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Has anyone had any luck on a MBA4,2 with the Oneiric Beta2 CD?

    Following dfacto's instructions on the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2) the boot process just seems to hang after attempting to boot to the LiveCD. The 'nomodeset' tweak doesn't seem to help -- in fact, the boot process makes it farther without it. With 'nomodeset' the system hangs as soon as I hit 'Enter' -- no response and the superdrive stops spinning.

    Without 'nomodeset' the LiveCD boots and I can select "Try Ubuntu" but the display fails (obviously). I can then CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a terminal, if someone has thoughts on how I could diagnose this further. Though, of course, without 'nomodeset' I just get the old '(EE) Screen found, but none have a usable configuration' in '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' once xorg attempts to use fbdev.

    I've read all 39 pages of this thread but I didn't see anyone with this same issue.

    Any and all thoughts appreciated!

  3. #383
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    37

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    First of all, this work is fantastic — you're a life saver and I hope you realize how many people you're touching in a good way doing what you're doing here! Thank you
    Worth repeating, thank you.

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    37

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Has anyone had any luck on a MBA4,2 with the Oneiric Beta2 CD?

    Following dfacto's instructions on the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2) the boot process just seems to hang after attempting to boot to the LiveCD. The 'nomodeset' tweak doesn't seem to help -- in fact, the boot process makes it farther without it. With 'nomodeset' the system hangs as soon as I hit 'Enter' -- no response and the superdrive stops spinning.

    Without 'nomodeset' the LiveCD boots and I can select "Try Ubuntu" but the display fails (obviously). I can then CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a terminal, if someone has thoughts on how I could diagnose this further. Though, of course, without 'nomodeset' I just get the old '(EE) Screen found, but none have a usable configuration' in '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' once xorg attempts to use fbdev.

    I've read all 39 pages of this thread but I didn't see anyone with this same issue.

    Any and all thoughts appreciated!

    Have you tried the "Alternate Install" Text Based (vga I think)...?
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    5

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Hmm. I haven't. But I think I'd be more confident were I able to boot a GUI from the LiveCD... unless of course this has become an impossibility with recent Oneiric releases. Particularly given that no one else in the thread has attempted this, I'll probably only stray that far as a last resort.

    Update: If I choose the 'bootx64.efi' option from refit I can edit the grub config to include 'nomodeset' and it seems to do more work before hanging. Sadly, the screen is weirdly interlaced and I can't read any of the messages once it stops. Ha! But perhaps it's a step closer.
    Last edited by steve; September 29th, 2011 at 04:09 AM.

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    37

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hmm. I haven't. But I think I'd be more confident were I able to boot a GUI from the LiveCD... unless of course this has become an impossibility with recent Oneiric releases. Particularly given that no one else in the thread has attempted this, I'll probably only stray that far as a last resort.

    I don't know the actual differences between the regular cd and the alternate,
    it's not actually, "text" based, i.e.. like freeBSD, it is graphical.

    You will still need to F6 and then check the 'nomodeset.'
    But there are a few other mba -> linux "how-to's" that recommend using the alt install cd.
    (I've used it myself, a number of times)
    Last edited by ChinaSailor; September 29th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    5

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaSailor View Post
    it is graphical.

    You will still need to F6 and then check the 'nomodeset.'

    (I've used it myself, a number of times)
    I've used the alt CD for previous installs. If all else fails, I'll give it a shot.

    I'm not particularly anxious to get 11.10 on the MBA for now, though - I have another Ubuntu laptop that's just not as pretty. Current plan is: fight with Beta2 in an attempt to flush out the issue (if it's resolvable, others will benefit). If I fail, my next step is to wait for the 11.10 release.

    Thanks for the tip, though.

  8. #388
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA, USA
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBuus View Post
    One praise, three questions.

    First of all, this work is fantastic — you're a life saver and I hope you realize how many people you're touching in a good way doing what you're doing here! Thank you

    Question 1) All of this debugging and fixing and whatnot. I have yet to actually install Ubuntu — been living (not to disgrunted, but with a rising urge to "return home") with Mac OS X since I bought the MBA a couple of months back now. Is the original "here's my script" post still up-to-date with all that's been accumulated fixes and knowledge wise? I have more than a dozen bookmarks from following this thread for when I finally get the time to install Ubuntu.

    Question 2) Is this going into mainline before Oneiric launch? As in we won't have to run the post install script, it'll just work OOTB? Not that it's difficult to run the script, but this stuff needs to go help more people than the ones following this thread I think.

    Question 3) Are you a doctor yet?

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    1) I updated https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2 so check here for everything you need.

    2) All patches should be in place by 3.1. Maybe Canonical will backport? Not sure how this process works.

    3) I am(!)...sort of. My committee gave me some minor revisions which I need to work on. I'd like to be able to say "Yes!" but I can't quite. Anyway they all signed the little piece of paper that says "Yes!" and seemed to think it shouldn't take too much time to make the corrections. Thanks for asking!

  9. #389
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    3

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Has anyone had any luck on a MBA4,2 with the Oneiric Beta2 CD?
    Hi steve,

    I used the Oneiric Beta 2 CD with my MBA4,2. I installed rEFIt, then dd'd the CD image to my USB drive.

    dd if=ubuntu.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=4m

    After restarting, rEFIt detected my USB drive and I could boot to it. In fact, I didn't even need to use "nomodeset" to install Ubuntu...but it does give graphical errors. I found I HAD to use nomodeset (by editing the GRUB entry after install) to boot into the OS.

    dfacto, thanks for the install script. Everything seems to work except my trackpad (MBA4,2, Oneiric Beta 2 (fully updated)).

    After running the script, everything seems to be successful (except applying the color profile). After restarting, the trackpad does nothing, mouse does not move and buttons don't work. Any idea what's going on here?

    Just an FYI, the color profile on my 13.3" MBA4,2 (Core i7) is Color LCD-00000610-0000-9CF0-0000-000004273C00.icc
    Last edited by DigitalDJ; September 29th, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

  10. #390
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    76

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDJ View Post
    After restarting, the trackpad does nothing, mouse does not move and buttons don't work. Any idea what's going on here?
    I believe this is a problem with the latest xorg-edgers, should work if you remove it:

    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •