Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

2011 MBA 11": Godspeed.
    post-install-oneiric.sh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    2011 MBA 11": Godspeed.
    post-install-oneiric.sh
    Awesome! Gonna try it out tonight, big thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yeah--I hope it works. I'm a little concerned that I actually didn't have to change anything (my id guesses were all correct). This is bad because presumably this script was already run by 11" users and it didn't work...

Anyway, there is no real harm in trying it. And, for what its worth, I'm am as confident as I can be that everything is correct.

Beans

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting the post-install-oneiric script to yield satisfactory results on my MBA. I did a clean install of first natty, and later oneiric and was able to load the X server as long as i inserted nomodeset into the bootloader. After running the post-install script, the bootloader appears to be running the new driver (at least, the command now includes "i915.i915_enable_rc6=1"), but the X server doesn't start. I've attached my Xlog, which indicates that the X server can't find any screens on startup.

I don't really know any of the high-level magic some of you are using (for example, recompiling the kernel); but I'm pretty stubborn and willing to follow instructions.

My thoughts, as of right now: could this be caused by differences in the processor? I got the i7 model of the 4,2 , which might differ with some who have reported success. Another option is that the display is different and that's the source of the problem: running

sudo get-edid 2> /dev/null | strings -5

returns

LTH133BT01A03
    Color LCD

which means I've got the Samsung display and not the LG/Phillips.

I will note that many of the minor tweaks did propagate correctly: two-finger scrolling is enabled, for example.

A final note: the post-install-oneiric.sh file appears to have a bug: it refers to a 'working' directory that while present in previous versions has been replaced by mba4-tmp: line 246 in the script as of right now. There's also an error in line 252, inside the else statement (i suppose because there's nothing in there except a comment). These may seem like minor errors to some, but tripped me up at first.

Not sure what to do--- any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

neither of those "errors" have any affect whatsoever but they do represent poor style. thanks for letting me know and ill remove line 246. i can stick a ;; in 251 if that makes you more comfortable.

i dont know why your video isnt working (its not because your hardware is "different;" youre barking up the wrong tree again). that is an actual problem. why dont you send then output of the script as a .gz?
    Last edited by dfacto; September 16th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who has worked on this, especially dfacto... the series of scripts you prepared have been a huge help.

I had the same problem as chaffin where the X server still wouldn't start. Long story short, the answer is already in fix-i915.sh. I had to manually copy the new i915.ko file from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/i915.ko to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.

I couldn't remember reading that anywhere (and I've read all 29 pages ), but after copying the file over, running depmod and update-initramfs (also in the script), I rebooted to a very satisfying 1440x900 login screen.

Edit:

My apologies, here's the link to original .ko fix: Post 222
    Last edited by morloch; September 16th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Beans

Hi All

Can someone please advise me where im going wrong.

Im running a 2011 4,1 11"

I've partitioned OK (additional ms-dos)
    I've installed reFit OK
    I've run sync partitions from refit tool
    I've used the Ubuntu MacBook Air Help to create the 11.04-amd64 USB
    I've tested the USB on other systems and know it works

At this point I can only access the ubuntu install menu if I choose the EFI Boot option
    I've edited the grub options and added nomodeset

I then press F10 to boot (It says that or ctrl+x I assume its the same and if i press ctrl+x it just types an x on the screen)

At this point it just goes to a black/blank screen my usb light flashes for a while and then just stops.

Please advise

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by morloch View Post
    First of all, a big thanks to everyone who has worked on this, especially dfacto... the series of scripts you prepared have been a huge help.

I had the same problem as chaffin where the X server still wouldn't start. Long story short, the answer is already in fix-i915.sh. I had to manually copy the new i915.ko file from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/i915.ko to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.

I couldn't remember reading that anywhere (and I've read all 29 pages ), but after copying the file over, running depmod and update-initramfs (also in the script), I rebooted to a very satisfying 1440x900 login screen.

Edit:

My apologies, here's the link to original .ko fix: Post 222
    Thanks Morloch. I thought I had fixed this by using the correct path for the "make modules_install". I uncommented the line from fix-i915.sh. It is still curious why seemingly everyone needs this except for me (and I have built/depmod'ed/rebooted many many times and have reinstalled several times too).

Anyway, thanks again for re-reporting the fix.

Do you happen to be on the 11"? I am curious if the patches make everything work for the 11".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hueythecat View Post
    Hi All

Can someone please advise me where im going wrong.

Im running a 2011 4,1 11"

I've partitioned OK (additional ms-dos)
    I've installed reFit OK
    I've run sync partitions from refit tool
    I've used the Ubuntu MacBook Air Help to create the 11.04-amd64 USB
    I've tested the USB on other systems and know it works

At this point I can only access the ubuntu install menu if I choose the EFI Boot option
    I've edited the grub options and added nomodeset

I then press F10 to boot (It says that or ctrl+x I assume its the same and if i press ctrl+x it just types an x on the screen)

At this point it just goes to a black/blank screen my usb light flashes for a while and then just stops.

Please advise
    My bad - i'd installed the usb on /dev/sdc1 instead of /dev/sdc

Beans
    Distro

I updated the .Xmodmap so that now the mouse has "reverse" scrolling (more like Lion). It also remaps the keys, reading left-to-right:
    Fn Control_L Alt_L Super_L Space Super_R Alt_R
    -to-
    Fn Control_L Super_L Alt_L Space Alt_R Menu

The main reason to map it this way, is to make the keyboard "feel" more like a PC keyboard. Also, I think its nice to have a Menu key, particularly since if the trackpad driver borks, you still have the ability to signal a right-click. (I'm surprised there are things like "mousemu" floating around when the easiest thing is just sacrifice your redundant Super_R key.)

Its commented in such a way that should make it easy for you do modify it to your own taste.
    Last edited by dfacto; September 16th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Page 29 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast