Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

It means that the user read the SNB manual and determined which register and the appropriate code to make the aspect ratio and brightness look better. It will still be 1024x768 so at this point its not a big change. If you don't know how to follow the steps listed in the attachment, I wouldn't worry. Its not a huge deal.

Also, the submitted script is unnecessarily complicated for Ubuntu users; for example, you can change the brightness by:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo aptitude update -q2
    sudo aptitude install intel-gpu-tools
    sudo intel_backlight 50
    Last edited by dfacto; September 6th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    It means that the user read the SNB manual and determined which register and the appropriate code to make the aspect ratio and brightness look better. It will still be 1024x768 so at this point its not a big change. If you don't know how to follow the steps listed in the attachment, I wouldn't worry. Its not a huge deal.

Also, the submitted script is overly complicated in many regards; for example, you can change the brightness by:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo aptitude install intel-gpu-tools
    sudo intel_backlight 50

Ok then I will wait for the final :- ) thank you

Beans

Intel driver issue solved, apparently (but not yet commited upstream AFAIK): https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39533#c25

Note that I couldn't test it myself for I haven't yet upgraded my Air (waiting for that bug to be resolved, basically).

I'd love to know if there's any showstopper still, and how the MBA4{1,2} behaves when booted in EFI mode (especially with the intel driver fix).

Beans
    Distro

Beans

I confirm this works perfectly with 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic. I didn't follow dfacto's script to the letter as I'd already patched the relevant file by the time his post appeared, but the compilation steps certainly performed as expected when entered one line at a time in a terminal.

Now to upgrade to Oneiric and get the other bits working that I hadn't previously bothered with - touchpad, Mac-specific keyboard, etc.

Brilliant. I can go to bed a very happy man.

Beans
    Distro

Please let me know any improvements you can make over post-install.sh so we can track all tweaks.

I believe I have everything working but the trackpad is still kind of annoying. Key re-mapping needs work too. (Haven't done suspend yet either.)

Beans

This entire thread is an excellent source of information for getting the MBA running with Ubuntu, but has anyone seen a single-post writeup on getting the system running end-to-end? I think the list of must-haves is:

- full 1440x900 resolution
    - screen brightness control
    - keyboard brightness control
    - trackpad support
    - right-click
    - scrolling
    - other gestures?
    - wifi
    - bluetooth
    - mic
    - camera

On a similar note, does anyone have numbers on how long the battery lasts using ubuntu on an MBA? i've seen decent lifetime using Parallels; I imagine it should be even better running ubuntu directly.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    This entire thread is an excellent source of information for getting the MBA running with Ubuntu, but has anyone seen a single-post writeup on getting the system running end-to-end? I think the list of must-haves is:

- full 1440x900 resolution
    - screen brightness control
    - keyboard brightness control
    - trackpad support
    - right-click
    - scrolling
    - other gestures?
    - wifi
    - bluetooth
    - mic
    - camera

On a similar note, does anyone have numbers on how long the battery lasts using ubuntu on an MBA? i've seen decent lifetime using Parallels; I imagine it should be even better running ubuntu directly.
    Everything works for me except camera. (Suspend works MARVELOUSLY--as fast as OSX!?) You could start translate the items in my post-install script to the wiki. I think that would be nicer than the forums. Anyway it shouldn't be hard and even if no one steps up, its not strictly necessary. I just reinstalled oneiric and running my script gets everything up and running with no problems. Also, don't forget this post.

Update: I cleaned up the script some more. Make sure to get a fresh snapshot and let me know if there is a problem.
    Last edited by dfacto; September 7th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Beans

Plz ...

I am confused ! can someone tell me STEP BY STEP how I should install this fix ?

I have downloaded the 32 BIT ( 11.4 ) Of course I should install that first then what ?
    Is this fix also works on 64 Bit ?

By the way,

Is there any way I could REMOVE MAcOs totally ? just running linux instead ? I removed MACOSx once but the linux booting was taking so so so much time ... it took a min or so to detect Linux partition - got stuck at gray screen for a min or so ,

Thank you
    Last edited by kujuntuluntufurtu; September 7th, 2011 at 01:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Everything works for me except camera. (Suspend works MARVELOUSLY--as fast as OSX!?) You could start translate the items in my post-install script to the wiki. I think that would be nicer than the forums. Anyway it shouldn't be hard and even if no one steps up, its not strictly necessary. I just reinstalled oneiric and running my script gets everything up and running with no problems.

Update: I cleaned up the script some more. Make sure to get a fresh snapshot and let me know if there is a problem.

dFacto, can you tell me how I should run this script ? As I told you once totally new to linux.

install ubuntu first then what should I do ? I also want to remove MACOSX totally. I did once but got stuck on gray screen for a min till booted into linux.

UPDATE : I googled and found my answer I think ...
    http://www.zimbio.com/Ubuntu+Linux/a...+sh+file+Linux

Hope that works for me .
    Last edited by kujuntuluntufurtu; September 7th, 2011 at 02:05 AM.

Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast