Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Red face Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

:: My own experience installing Ubuntu on MAcbookair ::

I am jumping in on this topic if you do not mind ! just want to express my feeling about HOW MUCH I hate apple simply because these folks are MONOPOLIZING almost everything ! By the way, my English is not great.

Here is my odd story about installing Ubuntu :

1 . I made 2 partitions using stupid " apple disk utility " one for swap one for Ubuntu.
    I restarted the computer with "nomodeset " HOPING Ubuntu detects the partitions ! INSTEAD Ubuntu got stuck on detecting the partitions ! NO PARTITIONS WERE FOUND AT ALL .

( I GOT SO MAD AT APPLE ! why ? lack of support for linux )

2. I restarted the computer and removed those 2 partitions I made using stupid " apple disk utility ". I restarted the computer HOPING Ubuntu detects the hard drive - SSD at least ! This time IT DID.

( I GOT CONFUSED AND ALSO MAD AT APPLE AT THE SAME TIME )

3. I made 2 partitions again, THIS TIME using " ubuntu " one for swap one for Ubuntu. But I was Unable to proceed with installation !!! The installation strangely crashed !!! I was told by Ubuntu that I can report this error to the developer which I DID NOT.

( I GOT CONFUSED AND ALSO MAD AT APPLE AGAIN )

4. I restarted the computer in order to do the whole thing again HOPING ubuntu this time DETECTS " 2 partions I ALREADY MADE WITH UBUNTU " !!! but, IT DID NOT ! got
    stuck on detecting the partitions AGAIN !!!

( I GOT CONFUSED AND ALSO MAD AT APPLE AGAIN + Saying F words this time )

5. I restarted the computer and AGAIN REMOVED the partitions using stupid " apple disk utility " hoping I could back to were I was on detecting the hard drive - SSD at least ! This time again Ubuntu detected the hard drive - SSD.

( I GOT CONFUSED AND ALSO MAD AT APPLE AGAIN but no F words this time )

6. I again made 2 partitions using " ubuntu " HOPING Ubuntu does not crash this time and proceed with installation ! which IT DID. Everything was installed .

( I WAS STILL CONFUSED BUT A BIT HAPPY THIS TIME )

7. I restarted the computer HOPING Ubuntu boots ! but INSTEAD everything WAS BLACK ! no movement, nothing ! just a black screen.

( I GOT CONFUSED AGAIN SINCE I ALREADY SET " NOMODESET " through installation )

8. I restarted the computer and set " nomodeset " on grub. Finally, I was able to log in.

( I WAS STILL CONFUSED BUT HAPPY THIS TIME )

9. I tried to UPDATE Ubuntu HOPING I could get the graphic card to work but instead the update manager CRASHED ! I tried almost 10 times but IT DID CRASH again. I also restated the computer and tried one more time, again CRASHED and could not complete the task.

( I GOT MAD AGAIN AND TRIED TO SEARCH FOR SOME ANSWERS WHICH I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM AND SAW HOW MUCH HASSLE YOU MUST TAKE IN ORDER TO USE UBUNTU ON MACBOOKAIR !! ) so, I decided to remove ubuntu and stick to MacOSX for now.

Sorry, I had to speak my mind ! otherwise I could not sleep tonight.

Again, I hate apple + Microsoft for one simple reason :
    MONOPOLIZING almost everything ! Morally 100% wrong . If these 2 companies did not monopolize the market, we could have enjoy THIS beautiful operating system called Linux a bit MORE ! AT LEAST ME.

GOD BLESS linus torvalds ! I only wish Bill and Steve were like HIM ! morally speaking .

Yours,
    Elmo
    Last edited by Objectivity; August 22nd, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
    - I ONLY HOPE ! Where there is a shell, there is a way -

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by rluble View Post
    I know you trust your code, but why would anybody else?
    alright, if you think I want to bork your mac or worse, then this is clearly not for you.

and, as has been suggested to throw 20000 lines of Fortran code is also not a really good idea either.

It seems that we sometimes unduly complicate our lives....

be it so

Folks ...

please let us know on this forum whenever the graphic card driver IS ready for MacbookAir 2011.

I will check this forum every single day ! I am waiting to get rid of MacOS X as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Elmo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
    Folks ...

please let us know on this forum whenever the graphic card driver IS ready for MacbookAir 2011.

I will check this forum every single day ! I am waiting to get rid of MacOS X as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Elmo
    Instead of checking here, you can check the source for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Instead of checking here, you can check the source for yourself.

Fantastic ! and THANK YOU.

If I get the graphic card installed, I will celebrate by destroying the apple logo on back of my MacBookAir lol I PROMISES. WILL send the picture to you all !

Beans
    Distro

Fantastic ! and THANK YOU.

If I get the graphic card installed, I will celebrate by destroying the apple logo on back of my MacBookAir lol I PROMISES. WILL send the picture to you all !
    Let me know if you find a cool decal or something to cover up the apple. All I could find is this.

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Let me know if you find a cool decal or something to cover up the apple. All I could find is this.
    Sure I will. I am thinking of making one ! I already have made this one but is not Ubuntu though ... It is a combination of " Open source TM and GNU operating system. See the attachment .

I got " Clear window decals " from Staples and printed my artwork on it and cut it .

I think it looks not bad ! I will make one for Ubuntu after I get the graphic card installed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Objectivity; August 23rd, 2011 at 11:28 PM.

Sure I will. I am thinking of making one ! I already have made this one but is not Ubuntu though ... It is a combination of " Open source TM and GNU operating system. See the attachment .

I got " Clear window decals " from Staples and printed my artwork on it and cut it .

I think it looks not bad ! I will make one for Ubuntu after I get the graphic card installed

By the way, we should glorify the concept of " open source " all the time and not specific distribution !
    By glorifying specific distribution we " unconsciously " are trying to monopolize like apple + microsoft. After all, linux is not about monopolizing ! so, I would rather mention on my logo the concept of OPEN SOURCE first then the distribution.

Beans
    Distro

By the way, we should glorify the concept of " open source " all the time and not specific distribution !
    By glorifying specific distribution we " unconsciously " are trying to monopolize like apple + microsoft. After all, linux is not about monopolizing ! so, I would rather mention on my logo the concept of OPEN SOURCE first then the distribution.
    Nice work! I hadn't thought of the GNU logo--fantastic idea.

Just as an aside though...given that half the point of open source is free (as in libre) one probably shouldn't get too overbearing in promoting it!
    And for that matter, since its free (as in gratis) we should be patient for the driver fix!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by koadman View Post
    Aha! I seem to have a samsung LCD, along with the 256GB ssd.

sudo get-edid 2> /dev/null | strings -5
    LTH133BT01A03
    Color LCD

Never occurred to me to try LVDS instead of VGA, I'll give that a go. Suspend works for me, need to look into hibernate next. I accidentally set my swap space too small for hibernate but thankfully still have some room to grow it.
    koadman, I was wondering, did you do a pure EFI setup or are you using BIOS emulation? I still am having a hard time believing that your screen works because its a different brand.

Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast