Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

@dfacto no i just executed the script with 'sh post-install.sh' actually. So it seems that the shebang was ignored!

Beans

I think for the shebang to work you have to execute the script directly as in
    ./post-install.sh
    after chmod +x of course

Or you could do /bin/bash instead of sh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ah yes--this confusion all makes sense now. Yes you need to invoke as either "bash ./post-install.sh" or "chmod 0744 ./post-install.sh && ./post-install.sh".

In general you can find out how to execute a non-execute flagged script by looking at the she-bang line. So a script with #!/bin/bash should never be called with sh.

I would NOT recommend "dpkg-reconfigure dash" as dash is resolved for any sh call for speed reasons. Better to either check the she-bang or better still, just flag as user-execute either by chmod 0744 or chmod u+x
    Last edited by dfacto; August 13th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Beans

Two things.

1) The product ID on the MacbookAir4,1 for the trackpad/keyboard is different than the 4,2. At least on mine I guess. lsusb shows the product id as 0249. So from what I can guess, I changed the hid and bcm patches so that the new id's were 0249, 024a, and 024b and it worked on my 4,1 (actually I don't think the keyboard one worked, I never got the fn keys to work). I didn't do a proper patch of actually adding new ID's, but instead just changeds the "6" ones that were added.

2) I really need to use my macbook, so no suspend basic kills the possibility of my using it day to day. (I can live with super bright 1024x768 graphics). As a work around though, I've been running 11.04 in virtualbox in OS X and it works really quite nice. Since I don't use OS X at all, I devoted 4 cores and 3GB+ of memory to the VM. If you enable 3D accelartion unity works and all the compiz goodness I love.

If you run full screen you never even see OS X. You have to disable the stupid menus that virtualbox puts on the screen, but I got rid of all of them. The only time you see OS X is the lock screen after resume. If you disable the lock screen, then you'll never see OS X, but less security

Another nice thing was I found this OS X prog called DoubleCommand that makes the fn key work like ctrl. I haven't found a corresponding hack in linux.

I'd much rather run linux native (first time my computer hasn't had linux native in 12 years), but it works and I need it to work, so I can work, so I can make money

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    +$50 here.
    Yeah put me down for $50 too

Beans

$100 more for video drivers and suspend/hibernate, expires on 21 August.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darren.shepherd View Post
    Two things.

1) The product ID on the MacbookAir4,1 for the trackpad/keyboard is different than the 4,2. At least on mine I guess. lsusb shows the product id as 0249. So from what I can guess, I changed the hid and bcm patches so that the new id's were 0249, 024a, and 024b and it worked on my 4,1 (actually I don't think the keyboard one worked, I never got the fn keys to work). I didn't do a proper patch of actually adding new ID's, but instead just changeds the "6" ones that were added.

2) I really need to use my macbook, so no suspend basic kills the possibility of my using it day to day. (I can live with super bright 1024x768 graphics). As a work around though, I've been running 11.04 in virtualbox in OS X and it works really quite nice. Since I don't use OS X at all, I devoted 4 cores and 3GB+ of memory to the VM. If you enable 3D accelartion unity works and all the compiz goodness I love.

If you run full screen you never even see OS X. You have to disable the stupid menus that virtualbox puts on the screen, but I got rid of all of them. The only time you see OS X is the lock screen after resume. If you disable the lock screen, then you'll never see OS X, but less security

Another nice thing was I found this OS X prog called DoubleCommand that makes the fn key work like ctrl. I haven't found a corresponding hack in linux.

I'd much rather run linux native (first time my computer hasn't had linux native in 12 years), but it works and I need it to work, so I can work, so I can make money
    Yes--I expected the product codes to be different but no one gave them to me so I couldn't patch the kernel. You can see what I did though and recreate it. I suggest you send the product codes to patches@bitmath.org.

Beans
    Distro

Someone may want to give 3.1-rc2 a go (make sure to try in conjunction with xorg-edgers). It almost surely won't make a difference but who knows?

Update: Just saw the thread "Ubuntu 11.04 sandy bridge support". Could be worth trying/following.
    Last edited by dfacto; August 16th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

@defacto

You are correct, I will have executed
    Code:
    #sh post-install.sh
    rather than

Code:
    #chmod +x
    #./post-install.sh
    ...because i am lazy

I agree with you about not changing from dash !

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Ah yes--this confusion all makes sense now. Yes you need to invoke as either "bash ./post-install.sh" or "chmod 0744 ./post-install.sh && ./post-install.sh".

In general you can find out how to execute a non-execute flagged script by looking at the she-bang line. So a script with #!/bin/bash should never be called with sh.

I would NOT recommend "dpkg-reconfigure dash" as dash is resolved for any sh call for speed reasons. Better to either check the she-bang or better still, just flag as user-execute either by chmod 0744 or chmod u+x

Beans

I'll donate $100 to the bounty.

Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast