Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by ben.fazekas View Post
    As of your last paragraph i completely agree, i looked at thinkpad x220 as well but with ssd and stuff it gets more expensive than the air and it is not even available in this config in my country so i would have to do extra organization and stuff to get one. So air would be hardwarewise the best option now and although i would not mind give the lion a try my main OS is linux/ubuntu and i intend to keep it this way.
    I was seriously considering the thinkpad X1; the high-end MBA was a better machine for my dollar. I'm bummed that I'm currently not able to run Linux natively on it; can't wait for the video drivers to get sorted out.

My biggest concern is battery life under Linux. Apple has done a great job with making OS X conserve battery.

The UI has some really nice elements as well. For example, I am continually using spotlight for calculator and dictionary lookups; seamless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Is there like a free escrow service we can use?
    I looked for about an hour and found nothing useful! Incredible; sounds like a nice side project.

Anyone here using bitcoin? Would that work? Not exactly escrow, but it makes sending money pretty trivial.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    +$50 here.
    +$50 as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Great! I'm officially in for $50 USD (although maybe I should be using a more stable currency? Yikes.). My terms are that the solution is a patch to the kernel or a patch to drm/i915. The patch must be submitted to kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com.

As this bug is already filed at freedesktop.org are their employees eligible? Are canonical's? I don't care who gets my money I just want something that works and its mainlined so it will *keep* working.

Should we add a comment to bug 39533?

@berto Yes--does sound like an intriguing project. I am guessing that we can't find one because such a service would have to meet the criteria of a bank or something like this. I googled ubuntuforums and found some people discussing it circa 2007 but nothing since. Anyway we can always do a person-to-person transfer with paypal (which are free if you have their base account). Still though, this is not an escrow which would make the bounty more "official."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by berto- View Post
    I was seriously considering the thinkpad X1; the high-end MBA was a better machine for my dollar. I'm bummed that I'm currently not able to run Linux natively on it; can't wait for the video drivers to get sorted out.

My biggest concern is battery life under Linux. Apple has done a great job with making OS X conserve battery.

The UI has some really nice elements as well. For example, I am continually using spotlight for calculator and dictionary lookups; seamless.
    I want to like MacOS--I really do. I just can't get over the inability to change resolution (I have bad eyes).

Beans
    Distro

@koadman Yes I was able to bless (at least it didn't return an error). I think you probably already tried the same thing that I did but double check my post-install.sh for some comments (which I don't remember at the moment).

Beans
    Distro

Bounty for getting KMS/drm/i915 working on the MacBookAir4,2 HD 3000 Intel graphics card. Interested persons should follow this bug report.

$USD User
    50.00 berto-
    50.00 koadman
    50.00 ben.fazekas
    50.00 dfacto [1]
    50.00 russell.sim
    100.00 orangegold [2]
    100.00 riksta

Total Pledged Bounty: $450(USD)

Pledger-Specific Additional Conditions:
    [1] - Must get patch accepted by kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com.
    [2] - Expires August 21, 2011. Must also fix suspend/hibernate.

Update: No one has expressed interest in this bounty and I guess we have a temporary work-around so I imagine these bounties are no longer valid. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by dfacto; September 24th, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Beans

Hi guys, just to let you know that some ubuntu installations seem to be set with their default shell as dash instead of bash

You can find out which shell you are using before you execute the script by:

Code:
    readlink /bin/sh
    If it returns "dash" then you will need to run

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    and then say 'NO' in the curses interface.

This will allow the pipe operators used for tee to work correctly

Here's hoping we get the video driver fix so we can have native resolutions!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Bounty for getting KMS/drm/i915 working on the MacBookAir4,2 HD 3000 Intel graphics card. Interested persons should follow this bug report.
    I updated the freedesktop post with reference to this bounty.

Beans
    Distro

@riksta Its interesting that you had this problem as the link you provided suggests that as long as you she-bang bash, you are fine, ie #!/bin/bash at the top of the file (which post-install.sh has done).

Were you executing the commands line by line?

Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast