Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

@dfacto

Thanks for your post-install.sh. However, I can't use it on my MacBook Air4,1. It said it supports MacBook Air 4,2 only. I tried to remove the code which are used for checking the computer model since I guessed the drivers can run on both models. After that, I ran the shell script but some error messages were shown when running. Anyway, thank you very much!

I've just removed Ubuntu on my MacBook Air 4,1 and wait for the full installation guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by qweefb View Post
    @dfacto

Thanks for your post-install.sh. However, I can't use it on my MacBook Air4,1. It said it supports MacBook Air 4,2 only. I tried to remove the code which are used for checking the computer model since I guessed the drivers can run on both models. After that, I ran the shell script but some error messages were shown when running. Anyway, thank you very much!

I've just removed Ubuntu on my MacBook Air 4,1 and wait for the full installation guide.
    You can just hit y to continue anyway....

And Im not sure what errors you are referring to... I only put the warning because I personally have only tested it on my macbookair4,2. Everything should be the same with the possible exception of the device ids for the keyboard and trackpad. And *if* that's the case nothing would happen (it would neither cause a problem nor work).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    You can just hit y to continue anyway....

And Im not sure what errors you are referring to... I only put the warning because I personally have only tested it on my macbookair4,2. Everything should be the same with the possible exception of the device ids for the keyboard and trackpad. And *if* that's the case nothing would happen (it would neither cause a problem nor work).
    Oooops.... I didn't notice that.

Thank you very much! I will have a try later!
    Last edited by qweefb; August 9th, 2011 at 04:15 AM.

Beans

Hi Guys,

i am planning to buy a macbook air if (rather big IF) i can install linux/ubuntu on it. I short of reviewed this thread and the bigest problem seems to be the graphic driver, or the lack of it. as i checked out there is an intel driver for the intel 3000hd integrated in the core i5/i7 processors. [see http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html]

am i missing something here? cant we/you just use the intel driver?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ben.fazekas View Post
    Hi Guys,

i am planning to buy a macbook air if (rather big IF) i can install linux/ubuntu on it. I short of reviewed this thread and the bigest problem seems to be the graphic driver, or the lack of it. as i checked out there is an intel driver for the intel 3000hd integrated in the core i5/i7 processors. [see http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html]

am i missing something here? cant we/you just use the intel driver?
    You're mostly right. In theory everything should be fine--all that has changed other than video are the device codes (which we have patches for).

Video drivers have technically existed since Jan (maybe longer? see phoronix.com) but there is a kernel bug that is apparent on the MBA42 (and 41 too I think).

Bottomline is that as of this moment you are stuck at 1024x768... unless you are lucky enough to get the samsung display which apparently gives you an off-center 1280x800. Even this obviously falls short of 1440x900.

Other than this I will say that in terms of hardware for your dollar I think its a pretty good deal and that eventually the bug will be fixed... (I hope!) Also, I should add that my bias is (and has been for some time) that I loathe apple and the fervor they encourage.

Cheers!

Beans

You're mostly right. In theory everything should be fine--all that has changed other than video are the device codes (which we have patches for).

Video drivers have technically existed since Jan (maybe longer? see phoronix.com) but there is a kernel bug that is apparent on the MBA42 (and 41 too I think).

Bottomline is that as of this moment you are stuck at 1024x768... unless you are lucky enough to get the samsung display which apparently gives you an off-center 1280x800. Even this obviously falls short of 1440x900.

Other than this I will say that in terms of hardware for your dollar I think its a pretty good deal and that eventually the bug will be fixed... (I hope!) Also, I should add that my bias is (and has been for some time) that I loathe apple and the fervor they encourage.

Cheers!
    Hi dfacto,

thx for the answer. As of your last paragraph i completely agree, i looked at thinkpad x220 as well but with ssd and stuff it gets more expensive than the air and it is not even available in this config in my country so i would have to do extra organization and stuff to get one. So air would be hardwarewise the best option now and although i would not mind give the lion a try my main OS is linux/ubuntu and i intend to keep it this way.

Beans
    Distro

I am currently using macfanctld without any problems but there is an alternative.

I am curious, has anyone tried both macfanctld and smcFanControl? Is one better than the other?

Can't remember if I already posted this... but one of the kernel developers has mentioned to me that most of the dkms's that are floating around are quite old. Whenever someone suggests to install it, I would be dubious. (With the exception of my script because we need those patches for natty...hopefully by the time we get to oneirc, the kernel will have the patches included.)

Also. Would anyone be interested in setting up a bounty to get our video card working? Its probably a long shot that someone other than those already working on it could help but, I'd be willing to commit at least $50 maybe even $100. The patch would have to be submitted to the kernel-team (as well as make my video work). If anyone else is interested, then I will make this pledge "official." (Is there like a free escrow service we can use?)
    Last edited by dfacto; August 11th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Beans

Has anyone tried to boot in EFI mode using grub-efi?

Beans

Also. Would anyone be interested in setting up a bounty to get our video card working? Its probably a long shot that someone other than those already working on it could help but, I'd be willing to commit at least $50 maybe even $100. The patch would have to be submitted to the kernel-team (as well as make my video work). If anyone else is interested, then I will make this pledge "official." (Is there like a free escrow service we can use?)
    +$50 here.

Beans

I'll kick in another $50.

Yesterday my display slowly went wild after a resume from suspend. It seems even 1280x800 on the samsung display has occasional problems.

Agree with others about the hardware. The MacBook Air is in a league of its own. Between the hi-res display, speedy ULV chip, SSD, build quality, and form factor, nothing else on the market even comes close right now. Just need to get that display driver going...

On another note, has anyone been able to bless their partition from Lion? I'm getting an error message:

Could not find object for s4
    Can't determine legacy media type for s4

Googling was little help and I didn't find anything obvious in Apple's source code for bless either. Any ideas? I repartitioned when running linux at one point. Could it be that OS X can no longer understand this part of the partition table?

Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast