Quote Originally Posted by morloch View Post
First of all, a big thanks to everyone who has worked on this, especially dfacto... the series of scripts you prepared have been a huge help.

I had the same problem as chaffin where the X server still wouldn't start. Long story short, the answer is already in fix-i915.sh. I had to manually copy the new i915.ko file from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/i915.ko to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.

I couldn't remember reading that anywhere (and I've read all 29 pages ), but after copying the file over, running depmod and update-initramfs (also in the script), I rebooted to a very satisfying 1440x900 login screen.

Edit:

My apologies, here's the link to original .ko fix: Post 222
Thanks very much for this post! I too had lost this in the mass of information spread over 29 pages. After a clean install of oneiric and the post-install script, my MBA now runs Ubuntu at full 1440x900. I had to run fix-i915 once more after reboot, but everything seems to be working now.

Major thanks to dfacto, without whose script I would surely have foundered upon the rocks of Sandy Bridge. Good luck with wrapping everything up in time for graduation, and congratulations!