Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox won't open - dialog says already open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox won't open - dialog says already open

Ok, guys/gals. I tried 'em all and none of 'em worked:
    The Quackers one - System Monitor, finding, highlighting and "end process" - no change.
    Altometer's: I've summarized it previously - no change.
    ajgreeny's: killall firefox: I got "firefox: no process found". - no change.
    The Cog's: killall firefox-bin and killall -9 firefox-bin: No reply - no change.

I am convinced that each one of your solutions was a good one and would have worked under "normal" circumstances. To me, this was a glaring exception, as follows:

I finally cold booted and got firefox to come up; but when I had invoked it from its icon, I first had to choose between a cold restart of firefox and a restore of a screwed-up session with my credit union's site from the night before. I had forgotten about that (blush, blush). In the middle of a secure session with them making an online deposit, I must have hit a wrong key combo and what I then got I can't even remember. I later verified that my deposit had "taken" and even later received a normal confirmation email. So, it appears to me that that's how that hunk of firefox remained, like Quackers and The Cog suggested. I just invoked a new firefox session and dumped the old one.

So, sorry for all the confusion and thanks to each of you many times over for the solutions. I learned a lot about how to kill processes, which I have many times wished I knew; so at least for me it wasn't a waste of time.

Thanks again,
    Fred

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Guys/gals. I tried 'em all but none worked - for me. I'm convinced that they're all good under normal circumstances; but that this was just too notable an exception:

I finally cold booted. When I then invoked firefox via its icon, I got a choice of invoking a new instance of firefox or restoring the screwed-up instance left over from last night, about which I had forgotten (blush). Last night, in a secure session with my credit union, I was about to submit a new deposit when "something" happened (maybe a bad key-press). I ended up logged off. When I got back on, the deposit was registered a-ok. I then logged off, closed firefox and forgot about it.

So, that was probably the warped instance of firefox about which Quackers and The Cog were speaking.

Sorry about the confusion. I, for one, don't consider this to have been a waste of time because I learned 3 things I didn't know before but wished I had about how to kill a process. I thank each of you very much for jumping to the rescue when I needed it.
    Sincerely,
    Fred

Beans
    Distro

Sorry about the duplicate final message. After submitting the second to last one, I failed to notice that it had gone to page 2 and thought it had gotten lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Glad you got it Fred! I'm a command line kinda guy myself. Learn the ps (process status) command and it's options. The good thing about the ps command is that it is installed on your Linux system by default so if your running a headless system, server or loging in remotely, you won't have to worry about installing it.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro

Thanks fpr the encouragement and advice, CDTech. I'll surely look into that.
    Regards,
    Fred

Beans

Arrow Re: Firefox won't open - dialog says already open

I quickly reviewed this thread because I have the same problem. But if my quick review has missed something, I apologize in advance.
    It's interesting that the first post was 2009, and here it is almost 2013, and I'm having the same problem.
    Although little more than a newbie(I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years or so), I do know about system monitor and have it in the launch bar just to address the topic of this thread!
    BUT!!!!...............
    Let's attempt to deal with the real issue!
    Here it is more than three years later and the same problem exists!
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Why should we have to kill the Firefox process at all?
    Is there something that can be done on the user level to keep this from happening?
    If so, I wish someone would share that.
    I think what sometimes happens in my case is that Firefox isn't coming up very fast and I wind up clicking again and when it attempts to launch two versions more-or-less simultaneously, it chokes and neither launches.
    But even granting my spasticness, it should be able to handle that. So maybe it's just a fault of the program that the developers refuse to contend with - I don't know, but wish I did!
    Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12