Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB appearance improvement?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Question GRUB appearance improvement?

Recently, at my school, I used an Apple Mac that had been dual-booted with Windows so it could use the standard school network and applications/limitations. Anyway, I noticed that the mac version of grub looked considerably better than the current 'purple text' version we have with ubuntu.

As the main message of ubuntu is 'user-friendly', perhaps we could put some thought into redesigning the graphical aspect of GRUB, particularly as most Windows transitionees, myself included, have dual-booted at some point. The grub screen can be intimidating, and looks especially bad on boot.

I am happy to donate photographs and/or artwork to help, if this is possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB appearance improvement?

Good thought... likely this will come about in fullness of time. Right now the guys are hard at it getting 11.10 up fully.

Backgrounds are usually never an issue, photos galore!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: GRUB appearance improvement?

Yes, of course...is 11.10 likely to be a 'significant' release (by this I mean like 11.04 had Unity, and 12.04 will be a LTS) , or are they just ironing out the bugs in Unity?

Is there somewhere I can get the source code for GRUB (if there is any?), that way I can experiment and see what happens.

Good luck with 11.10 guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Or there again, just downloaded the source and read the license, and apparently distributing unedited copies is allowed, but not editing it in any way. Bang goes the theory.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Yes, of course...is 11.10 likely to be a 'significant' release (by this I mean like 11.04 had Unity, and 12.04 will be a LTS) , or are they just ironing out the bugs in Unity?

Is there somewhere I can get the source code for GRUB (if there is any?), that way I can experiment and see what happens.

Good luck with 11.10 guys!
    11.10 is a somewhat "significant" release, considering the switch from the GNOME 2 (GTK 2) stack to the GNOME 3 (GTK 3) stack, but I don't think that work is being done to improve GRUB's apperaance.

Perhaps you should voice your idea at the Ubuntu Brainstorm.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com
    -PhantmKllr

Dell Dimension 2400 (Upgraded, FTW!) -- Asus M4A785-M Motherboard -- AMD Phenom II x2 545 @ 3.00ghz -- 8gb RAM -- 500gb Samsung HDD -- Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 PNY XLR8

Beans
    Distro

Well 11.10 sees the change to Gnome3 and also Gtk3 which means big changes behind the scene

Beans
    Hidden!

Or there again, just downloaded the source and read the license, and apparently distributing unedited copies is allowed, but not editing it in any way. Bang goes the theory.
    Read again. It’s not so simple. There might be simple explanations of the GPL on the web selsewhere too.
    Last edited by hugmenot; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: ^

Beans
    Distro

It's open source as far as I know. Here's their homepage:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wink Re: GRUB appearance improvement?

Oops, I was reading the licence for the licensing document...

It is indeed open-source. I shall get to work understanding how it works...please tell me it's written in C++...please...

Beans

Could it be possible that your school uses BURG instead of GRUB?

BURG is derived from GRUB 2 and allows for fancier backgrounds, icons instead of text and other graphical goodness.

I haven't used it myself, but saw other people installing and customizing it for dual boot between windows and ubuntu.

You can see some some BURG screenshots in its site.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast