Thread: How to: Rockbox from download to full use

Beans

How to: Rockbox from download to full use

I have an 80GB ipod video (the box says ipod classic 80G) that I would like to set up with rockbox. I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980 and am running 11.04. I went to the rockbox website, clicked on the Linux 32 bit version, it opened under archive manager. I double clicked and a window opened with the rockbox utility folder and extract option. I tried extracting to a created folder and received this error:
    tar: /home/emily/.cache/.fr-EVdhuC/RockboxUtility-v1.2.10.tar-1: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I am very new to Linux and don't understand much. I am hoping someone can help by giving me a step by step procedure to follow. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to: Rockbox from download to full use

Hi emily,

Wether you can extract it or not, last time I looked rockbox did not work with the classic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Hi emily,

Wether you can extract it or not, last time I looked rockbox did not work with the classic.
    I just looked http://www.rockbox.org/

Unusable ports

Work has begun on porting Rockbox to these players, but much remains before they are usable:

Cowon iAudio 7, Creative ZVM, Logik Dax, Meizu M6 and M3
    Onda VX747, VX767 and VX777,
    Tatung Elio TPJ1022, Sandisk Sansa m200, c100,
    Google Android, Apple iPod Classic
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good news, they are working on it.......

.......but

from the website

Rockbox partially works but it is an early build targeted at experienced users

Beans

thanks.
    I am really struggling to get my two ipods working with 11.04. I have, what I think to be an ipod classic 6th Gen and an 8G ipod touch that was purchased in 2008. I would be very grateful if someone would offer some guidance. The classic is mine and I would like to use it to store files and listen to lectures. The touch is my wife's ipod and she would like to use it for apps and music. She connects it by usb to her car cd player http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR5...0.html?tp=5684,
    which needs to be compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your ipod classic should just work with rhythmbox, gtkpod or guayadeque....

... well mine does anyway.

The touch should work also, but I can't speak from experience .....

.......IF

You have not updated them recently.

What is the problem and what have you tried?

Beans

The classic is working, though at some point banshee duplicated every track on the ipod.

Connecting the touch produces an error that says unable to mount documents on Emily. Unhandled lockdown error - 17.

In banshee I see the device and it shows 4 GB of other is full and 3.1 GB free but none of the content is visible.