Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: Can I use KDE?

Beans

FAQ: Can I use KDE?

The default desktop environment for Ubuntu is Gnome. However, if you want to install KDE 3.2.3 you will find all the packages required in the Universe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Can I use KDE?

Thanks,
    I have installed KDE 3.2.3 only my system can't works only with EnglishUS setup.
    What should I do to change the KDE language to use Hungarian?

Beans

I had forgotten how truely horrible Gnome is. Thank goodness for the Universe!

Beans

Gnome > KDE

I believe this might call for a poll 8)
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

Will KDE 3.3 be making its way into the universe any time soon? Or is there perhaps another repository I could add that has it? Otherwise, the new gnome is more than sufficient for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had been using KDE prior to migrating to Ubuntu. Then I decided I'd give the Ubuntu way a try. Remember -- packages in Universe are not fully supported. Ubuntu has made no promises to release any security patches for anything outside of Main and Restricted. And really, what should be the big deal? Both KDE and Gnome can use the other platform's software. Which is a good thing. Especially for those who want the best Personal Money Management software (Gnucash) and the best Integrated Development Environment (KDevelop3) on the free software market.

But then I tried organizing the menus. Ubuntu automatically throws all games into a single "games" folder. OK -- well I have a few more games than can fit on one screen. So, I tried building a subfolder for, say, Card Games. Now, drag and drop each of the card games into the folder... What, that doesn't work? OK -- search the 'net for documentation on managing Gnome menus. Oops! That was a mistake. Every link is telling me the same thing: That the menus in Gnome are not done well, and the whole thing is a disastrous coding mess.

What the ... ? They're telling me that Gnome can't even get its Menus right? And Ubuntu somehow determines that Gnome is the "best" desktop / window management system in the free-software market? Umm... what's so great about Gnome when it can't even do such a basic thing?

Beans

I haven't had any problems editing gnome's menus. Granted, kde's menu editing is still better. While applications:/// isn't the most elegant solution, it *does* work. Do you have famd running? That's usually the source of a lot of gnome menu problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beesee
    Do you have famd running? That's usually the source of a lot of gnome menu problems.
    Wait, should famd be ON or OFF? It's on by default, I think. What does FAM on do to gnome-menu? What effect would turning it off have on Gnome/Nautilus?

P.S. Are there any plans to add KDE-3.3.x into Universe? Not that I want it -- though I'm usually a KDE fan, I love GNOME 2.8 and how Ubuntu configured it.

Beans

I love the latest GNOME and have had no troubles. I installed KDE in ubuntu during the rc stage..just to check it out, but have always found KDE to be too menu intensive and windows-like.

Beans

Sorry, for the stupid question...

What is the "Universe?" i just installed this on my G4 450, and it runs great, except I really don't like GNOME. Currently i'm attempting to install KDE by compiling it from source, but i'm curious to find a pre-compiled binary I can install..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast