Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL

Beans

XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL

XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!

Hello fellow Ubuntu’s!

*** I have Ubuntu 11.4***

After downloading XAMPP, I went to my Downloads. I then went to the Folder (xampp-linux-1.7.4.tar.gz) and right clicked on it. The options window opened, and I selected ‘Extract Here’! after doing so a Folder called lampp appeared.

The next step I did was open my Terminal and typed ( sudo nautilus / ). I pressed Enter and a window with a bunch Folders opened up. I selected, and opened the opt Folder. I then dragged the lampp Folder to the opt Folder.

The lampp Folder is now in the opt Folder. I right clicked on the lampp Folder and selected Properties, and then the Permissions tap. I set all 3 Folder access: -to- Create delete files and all 3 File access: -to- Read and write. I checked Allow executing file as program, and Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files button, then closed.

I went back to Terminal and typed ( sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start ) and pressed Enter. Everything is working fine execpt MySQL!

Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.7.4...
    XAMPP: Starting Apache with SSL (and PHP5)...
    XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
    XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!
    XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
    XAMPP for Linux started.

I don’t know if it makes any difference but I do have Netbeans IDE 7.0 php installed and I’ve only worked on html and CSS on it.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

Thank You!

Beans

Re: XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!

i am having the same problem
    please help me . . . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why did you install XAMPP and not LAMP?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I've had the same problem..
    Did you correctly install your xampp using the following command line?

sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.7.tar.gz -C /opt

It worked for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

welll, i WAS having the same problem,when i started reading this thread,i was on this problem since last 11 hrs but right now i TOOK a break and when i cam back a idea struck me that people were telling me to change
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    to
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 127.0.0.1;
    in
    config.inc.php

but i was not able to locate that line in my file.. later on right now it struck that what if i ADD IT!!?

and i added and VOILA!! it was done!!

simply add

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    in ur /opt/lampp/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php file and u r ready to go!

Beans

Re: XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL

The problem with MySQL issues in XAMPP is that by default there is no error logging in MySQL.
    So if you are having problems getting MySQL to run, add the following line to /opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf under the [MYSQLD] section -
    Code:
    log-error=/opt/lampp/logs/mysql_errors.log
    and check this file after trying to start. It will probably give you a clue. Comment out when all is fixed, so it's there next time you have a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is quite old, but I'm having the same problem. I followed jprice's advice, and this is what is in the mysql_error.log file:

Code:
    121120 18:24:06 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /opt/lampp/var/mysql
    121120 18:24:06 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
    /opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/plugin.frm' (errno: 13)
    121120 18:24:06 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.
    121120 18:24:06  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 44233
    121120 18:24:06 [ERROR] /opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
    121120 18:24:06 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
    121120 18:24:06 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /opt/lampp/var/mysql/Yasin.pid ended

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lamp

You're going about it the hard way. I'd second mörgæs question and ask that you look more closely at doing things the normal way and use LAMP. XAMPP is a useful crutch for those still on Windows, but for those that have upgraded to Linux, it is about the hardest possible way to go about setting up web services.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I re-installed it, so the problem is solved, and I'm actually using lampp not xampp. But why is xampp harder than lampp anyway ?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lamp

Quote Originally Posted by YasinG View Post
    I re-installed it, so the problem is solved, and I'm actually using lampp not xampp. But why is xampp harder than lampp anyway ?.
    Both are wrong. The main problem is that they avoid using the package manager. The package manager helps greatly with both installation and maintenance, including updates and security updates. LAMPP also installs things in non-standard places. There is a place for everything and the package manager puts programs and configuration data in the right spots. Then there is the issue of redundant packages python and perl are built into most Linux distros, including Ubuntu. Adding extra copies of the same programs just creates confusion. And, because LAMPP and XAMPP need to be maintained manually, it is a lot of extra work that the computer should have been doing for you.

The LAMP stack can be installed easily with one line in the shell, or the corresponding clicks in Synaptic.

Code:
    sudo lamp-server^
    That will get you the packages you need, put them in the right places so they will work with other applications and will allow the updates to be managed automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast