Thread: Crash After Partial Upgrade :(

Beans

Angry Crash After Partial Upgrade :(

I was using my ubuntu 10.04 LTS computer normally ... suddenly .. the update manager asked me to that it should make something called : Partial Upgrade .. i accepted ... and then a long process began .. the title was : Distribution Upgrade

then my computer ran out of battery power .. and it was turned off during the process !!
    I turned it on again .. the grub menu was normal ... the splash screen came normally ... but the login screen has been changed ... not my customized themes ... with my user name ... but without mouse control or keyboard control i cant login ...
    i want my files ... i want my settings ,, bookmarks , customizations i want my ubuntu backk normally
    is there something in ubuntu like system restore ??? i want everything back i will lose many things .. many important files and firefox bookmarks ... Plsss help me guys ...

Beans

Re: Crash After Partial Upgrade :(

Quote Originally Posted by fadi hamadneh View Post
    I was using my ubuntu 10.04 LTS computer normally ... suddenly .. the update manager asked me to that it should make something called : Partial Upgrade .. i accepted ... and then a long process began .. the title was : Distribution Upgrade

then my computer ran out of battery power .. and it was turned off during the process !!
    I turned it on again .. the grub menu was normal ... the splash screen came normally ... but the login screen has been changed ... not my customized themes ... with my user name ... but without mouse control or keyboard control i cant login ...
    i want my files ... i want my settings ,, bookmarks , customizations i want my ubuntu backk normally
    is there something in ubuntu like system restore ??? i want everything back i will lose many things .. many important files and firefox bookmarks ... Plsss help me guys ...
    guys please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A tip, never run updates (and certainly not upgrades) on battery power.
    It is asking for a catastrophe - as you can see.

Another tip, always have backups! Then you won't lose things.

It's possible there has been damage done to your system.
    You could have a look at the thread below. The users problems were solved, but he wasn't running an upgrade at the time.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682038
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Another attempt would be trying to upgrade/fix your PC via the Recovery mode's Root Shell (if it allows you to boot that successfully).

From Grub menu, choose Recovery Mode (the option below the normally used one probably) and then choose Drop to Root Shell. Run these commands one by one:

Code:
    dhclient eth0
    Where 'eth0' is your network interface. This command would connect your PC to the internet.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    If the commands finish without any errors, hopefully your install would be repaired and you might be able to boot it successfully.

If the commands don't work, the only choice is to boot an Ubuntu Live CD/USB and then mount your partition and copy over your data and do a fresh install.

If you are unable to even get to the Root Shell, you can try to Chroot your install from a Live CD and then run the same commands as listed above.

To Chroot, boot an Ubuntu Live CD/USB and get to a Terminal, then run these commands one by one:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/temp 
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/temp
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt/temp$i;  done
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/temp/etc/resolv.conf
    sudo chroot /mnt/temp
    Replace 'XY' with your intended partition to which Ubuntu is actually installed. It should actually look something like 'sda1', 'sda2' etc. You can find it by running this command:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Once Chrooted, run the same commands as mentioned above.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Duplicate closed - also please note this from the Code of Conduct.

Use color and font properties for highlighting portions of your text, and not for all of the text in your post. Please use the default font color and properties unless you need to highlight or draw attention to a part of your post. ALL CAPS is interpreted as screaming. Funky non-uniform font size/color is difficult for those who are visually impaired. If you are having problems with reading the font, please adjust your browser.