Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for college...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Time for college...

Well, I'm off to college this fall, which means I need a new machine. Which ULTIMATELY means that I have to make the unwanted choice between Mac and Windows. Of course, since I'm a poor college student, I have to go with a Windows box. So this is officially and sadly my last month using Ubuntu as my main OS. I really would love to set up dual-boot, but I wouldn't want to do anything to void the warranty.

I don't really see this post as anything important, but more like something I felt I needed to share with the Ubuntu Community. So a huge thanks to anyone who's ever helped me with anything on here, and I'll be back every summer!

I've thoroughly enjoyed using Ubuntu, and learning from the Linux Community.

-Ryan

P.S. Any insight on college from anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Time for college...

Why do you need Windows?

For Office?

Will you college have any computer labs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Read the warranty carefully, see what it says about software and OS. If all else fails, ring the helpline. Some laptops even have separate warranties for hardware and software bugs. (I think, at least, an old one of mine has)

Good luck with college!

Beans
    Distro

krapp, my college offers a bunch of free and reduced price software to students. None of which is available on Linux. Also, I've already experienced that some of their online systems don't function properly. For the best integration into college, I'm going to have to run Windows or Mac.

And thanks, MG&TL. I'll look into that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ArrrghJ View Post
    krapp, my college offers a bunch of free and reduced price software to students. None of which is available on Linux. Also, I've already experienced that some of their online systems don't function properly. For the best integration into college, I'm going to have to run Windows or Mac.

And thanks, MG&TL. I'll look into that.
    You could just do a dual boot and still have the best of both worlds or run win 7 in virtual box. as for computers i think dells gonna have the best bang for the buck. look at what computer the school is offering match it up againts a dell with specs you want. if you can afford it get the accidental coverage warranty for it. its well worth it i dropped my computer in the pool once got a new one in like a week at no extra charge not even shipping.
    Last edited by rickytikki; July 22nd, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
    'Dont Steal the Government Hates Competition' !!Ron Paul 2012!!

Beans
    Distro

ricky, I don't want to set up dual-boot because I'm not sure about the warranty yet and whether that would void it or not. And I've also never really been a fan of Dell laptops. Everybody I know who has one has crashed theirs. Of course, I don't know many other computer-savvy people..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cool Re: Time for college...

Rikki:
    Some companies are extremely picky bout what you can and can't do with a laptop. I imagine installing an OS may invalidate the warranty, even with a dual boot. Especially with a dual boot. I'm not entirely certain about mine, it said installing certain programs may incur a charge for repair, but it didn't say anything about an entire OS. Obviously, I decided not to bother finding out.

Mine only sees home use, so tbh the warranty is not worth the hassle of using windows. Or the lack of hassle that leads to more hassle further down the line. If you see what I mean.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rickytikki View Post
    look at what computer the school is offering match it up againts a dell with specs you want.

The school sells 'reduced rate software for students'-not computers. Well, they might, but the OP hasn't said so yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh, and check here for massively reduced prices on software.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/?...FQJO4QodGGNpzA

The irony of this is that I haven't gone to college yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Some companies are extremely picky bout what you can and can't do with a laptop. I imagine installing an OS may invalidate the warranty, even with a dual boot. Especially with a dual boot. I'm not entirely certain about mine, it said installing certain programs may incur a charge for repair, but it didn't say anything about an entire OS. Obviously, I decided not to bother finding out.

Mine only sees home use, so tbh the warranty is not worth the hassle of using windows. Or the lack of hassle that leads to more hassle further down the line. If you see what I mean.
    you could do all of that. If you wanted to earase track of another os on the hd you could just delete all partitions (except bios) reformate and just rienstall everything on it will be like it came from the factory. besides i dont know where u got ur comp but ive never heard because you changed the os it voids the hardware or accidental warranty. they might not give you any support for it but thats because they cant give you support for something it did not come with. i dont know tho its just my 2 cents. If you go to the ubuntu.com website look what you see as the computer a dell vostro 3500 icore 5. dell ships computers with ubuntu and will give you hardware support
    Last edited by rickytikki; July 22nd, 2011 at 12:52 AM.
    'Dont Steal the Government Hates Competition' !!Ron Paul 2012!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast