Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for college...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Time for college...

I don't use support myself. But if something ges horribly wrong with a laptop at college, especially with fees the way they are, you're wasting quite a lot of time and money if you can't take notes/type up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ArrrghJ View Post
    krapp, my college offers a bunch of free and reduced price software to students. None of which is available on Linux. Also, I've already experienced that some of their online systems don't function properly. For the best integration into college, I'm going to have to run Windows or Mac.

And thanks, MG&TL. I'll look into that.
    Well you never know. Perhaps your needs will change by Junior year and you can run Linux full time. Don't waste the money on a Mac. Get a Windows PC (I find Asus to be of good value), and perhaps you'll find out that you don't need Word, or Excel, or some useless online application that the school wasted tons of money on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, krapp, schools will always continue to waste money just to make students do their math assignments online or whatever. But hey, if by Junior year I CAN run Linux, I will. Because it's free and I'll always know where to get it. And I'm not worried about Office. It's one of those free softwares through the school. As well as Adobe CS5. Which I'm kinda excited about. And I was actually looking into getting a custom-built Sager or an Acer just because they both offer very good hardware inexpensively. And I know with the Sager I could easily run Linux, but I don't want to worry about not being able to access the school sites.

Plus, I want to set up a home file share with my roommate (dorm file share?), and let's face it: Samba is a nightmare.

Beans

Is there any reason you can't run Ubuntu through Wubi?

Beans
    Distro

Honestly, the thought never crossed my mind.

But isn't that a little like cheating? ;P

Beans

Portability would be the #1 priority, you don't wanna lug something heavy around the whole time.

Get one of these http://www.engadget.com/photos/asus-...ble-notebooks/

Beans
    Distro

Mips, I think for me usability is the #1 priority. Where are all the USB ports on that thing? How do I put in CD's? These are necessary things for me. I already know what I'm getting anyway, so that's not an issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ArrrghJ View Post
    I already know what I'm getting anyway...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OP did you just say that partitioning your hard drive would void your warranty?

why would you say something like that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12