Thread: Date / Time wrong when dual booting

Beans

Question [solved] Date / Time wrong when dual booting

I am dual booting with Windows. Normally when I install Ubuntu I am given an option on whether the hardware/bios clock is in UTC or in local time. Using the Ubuntu that came shipped with the System76 machine I did not have that option to configure.

Does anyone know how I tell a system76 installed ubuntu environment that my hardware/bios clock is local time and NOT utc? I'd prefer to change the Ubuntu side of things because it's how I do it in other dual-boot environments where I've installed both OS'es.

Thanks,

Solution: edit /etc/default/rcS and change the line UTC=yes to UTC=no. Then reset the hardware clock. Now the time/display should be fixed in both OSes.
    Last edited by holdorph; July 21st, 2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Solved original problem

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Date / Time wrong when dual booting

Quote Originally Posted by holdorph View Post
    I am dual booting with Windows. Normally when I install Ubuntu I am given an option on whether the hardware/bios clock is in UTC or in local time. Using the Ubuntu that came shipped with the System76 machine I did not have that option to configure.

Does anyone know how I tell a system76 installed ubuntu environment that my hardware/bios clock is local time and NOT utc? I'd prefer to change the Ubuntu side of things because it's how I do it in other dual-boot environments where I've installed both OS'es.

Thanks,
    sudoedit /etc/default/rcS
    or use your editor of preference, but you have to have root permissions
    change UTC=yes to UTC=no

jdb

Beans

I wish that had worked. I found that suggestion googling yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't help. I'll confirm it again later today when I'm in a spot to boot both OSes, but I know I booted windows last night and then Linux this morning (after changing /etc/default/rcS yesterday) and my time is wrong still/again (depending on how you look at it).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by holdorph View Post
    I wish that had worked. I found that suggestion googling yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't help. I'll confirm it again later today when I'm in a spot to boot both OSes, but I know I booted windows last night and then Linux this morning (after changing /etc/default/rcS yesterday) and my time is wrong still/again (depending on how you look at it).
    The desktop I dual-boot is running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 & Windows 7.

I don't remember changing anything other than that one entry.
    If I find anything else I changed I'll let you know.

jdb

Beans

Ok, I booted to windows after making that change and it was 'wrong' in windows too. I updated the clock and the time was right in windows and the next time I booted to Linux it was right in Linux too. So, I guess that change does work, but it requires fixing your clock one time after making the change.