Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camera not mounting

Beans

Re: camera not mounting

Quote Originally Posted by duncombe View Post
    Please pay attention. I do not want to buy additional hardware. Fspot or other intermediate software does not work, and I do not wish to use it. The camera mounts as mass storage on this hardware with other linux distros. Why does it not mount with UBUNTU 10.04? How can I get it to work on UBUNTU 10.04?
    Regressions happen every time Ubuntu releases another version. They ultimately caused me to move to another distro (which I am now grateful for. ).

Beans

No, Handy, it's not that I cannot see or accept your position on cameras and computers, it's that you appear not to understand what I am asking. I have a camera, it used to work on the computer, now it does not, why? This is not a philosophical discussion but a technical one. How to make camera work with computer. Noise about whether this is advisable or detrimental to the camera or computer is not helpful at the stage I am now at. I know that it causes damage to neither the camera nor the computer; both still work, just not together with the operating system now on the computer.

Beans

Further investigation ensued. One set of programs that was running when the desktop was operational was gvfs-related. I killed all gvfs processes and now the camera will mount even while the desktop is running. Now to find out if gvfs is useful for anything and if not UNINSTALL it.

Beans

Thanks to all for helping me figure out that gvfs interferes with the mount process and renders the camera inaccessible. The solution I have found is to kill all gvfs processes before attempting to mount the camera.

Beans

I cover myself in ordure and beat myself mercilessly with a limp noodle. The problem turns out to have been a very old, well-known, Unix problem: permissions and ownership. Somehow, I don't know how, my $HOME/.gvfs directory had acquired an owner who was not the owner of $HOME. Resetting the ownership of $HOME/.gvfs now makes the problem go away. The camera mounts and is accessible as expected and gvfs gets to remain installed on my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm gonna have to resurrect this old thread.

Acquired an old Olympus D560, which won't mount on Lucid.

With regards to the above post, how do I reset the ownership of the .gvfs folder?

Thanks.