Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting a new laptop (and installing Ubuntu on it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thinking about getting a new laptop (and installing Ubuntu on it)

Lots of comments here, I am still considering getting that laptop and dual boot Ubuntu and Windows for testing Bumblebee and reporting bugs. However, where do you see that it has Optimus? I cant find it on that site, but when I googled on the model I found another laptop that looked exactly the same and had a similar name (NP-RV520-S01SE compared to NP-RV511-S06SE) but another graphics chipset (Geforce 520M) that did mention Optimus. I just want to be sure no one just googled it and happened to come across this model instead!

In any case, this will require more consideration than I had hoped, my only previous laptop was an Asus eeePC that works flawlessly with Ubuntu, I was hoping the same would go for most laptops. As for buying one with Linux preinstalled, there are no vendors that sell linux laptops in Sweden that I know of and I don't feel like buying from a vendor outside the country (due to extra shipping costs and delays if something breaks)

Edit: might not be so bad to keep a Windows computer around anyway, since I do some programming and don't want to dual-boot my desktop. I could still use my favorite applications anyway
    Last edited by Kimm; July 21st, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

Re: Thinking about getting a new laptop (and installing Ubuntu on it)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    However, where do you see that it has Optimus? I cant find it on that site
    When I saw it had an Nvidia GPU, Optimus was my first concern so I googled "NVIDIA GeForce 315m" and saw this page on the Nvidia site which says this GPU does have Optimus.

BTW I love how the translation page says "Plenty of power tasty wrapped in a single laptop" .

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12