Thread: Format usb flash drives in FAT32 using Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Question Format usb flash drives in FAT32 using Ubuntu 10.10

Hi All,

For security reasons, I want to Fat32 format some of my thumb drives using my Ubuntu 10.10. Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere to doing this? I'm not very good at downloading and installing files in Ubuntu. It seems pretty complicated to download and install files in Ubuntu. I'm a beginner.

Please be gentle! I need step-by-step instructions. I'm new with Ubuntu. Thanks!

Cheers,

Tom

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Format usb flash drives in FAT32 using Ubuntu 10.10

to format a thumb drive go to:

System>Administration>DiskUtility>FormatVolume or FormatDrive

be sure you are on your thumb drive. it should be on left side of window and keep in mind that formatting will erase all data on that drive.

for downloading software, just use the software center. are you having trouble downloading something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Advait View Post
    Hi All,

For security reasons, I want to Fat32 format some of my thumb drives using my Ubuntu 10.10. Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere to doing this? I'm not very good at downloading and installing files in Ubuntu. It seems pretty complicated to download and install files in Ubuntu. I'm a beginner.

Please be gentle! I need step-by-step instructions. I'm new with Ubuntu. Thanks!

Cheers,

Tom
    Funny, Fat32, and security, don't really go in the same sentence very well... If you are after a secure file system for use on windows, you should use ntfs. If you are trying to wipe the data on the thumb drives, you will probably want to use dd or shred. In either case, if you want more info, let me know.

If it was just formatting to Fat32, then jerrrys' suggestion should suffuce, or you can use gparted.

HTH,
    Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    to format a thumb drive go to:

System>Administration>DiskUtility>FormatVolume or FormatDrive

be sure you are on your thumb drive. it should be on left side of window and keep in mind that formatting will erase all data on that drive.

for downloading software, just use the software center. are you having trouble downloading something?
    Hello jerrys,

Thanks for the instructions. When I try to format the thumb drive in Ubuntu it lays "Device busy." I have no idea what's keeping it busy. See screenshot for details.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6...udevicebus.png

How can I fix this? I want to format my thumb drive in Ubuntu after it's been exposed to an unknown Windows PC.

Thanks!

Tom

Beans
    Hidden!