Thread: Video Tearing and Sutter Issues

Beans

Video Tearing and Sutter Issues

I have a HTPC running Natty. I have some experience with Linux, but still consider myself new. My HTPC has an AMD 45w quad core and a nVidia 520 GPU with 2GB of memory. The PC side of it works fine, but I am having issues with video playback, mainly some tearing and stutter issues.

I have a bunch of DVD and Blu-ray rips. The DVDs were coded with Handbrake while the Blu-rays were done with RipBot. All were done using the same settings. I have no stutter issues with the DVDs, but they can tear, though not as often as the Blu-rays. The stutter issue only happens with a few videos. The video stops while the sound continues while the video catches up.

So far I've tried disabling compiz, but that hasn't helped much. I wonder if there's some codec or other piece I'm missing? I have the latest nVidia drivers installed. I've been using VLC, but did notice the same issues in the native movie player. If I toss Windows on the machine and use Media Player Classic, the videos play just fine. Can anyone lend some assistance? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Video Tearing and Sutter Issues

What ubuntu release ?
    What video driver version ?

The GT520 is relatively new & is not supported by the 10.04 nvidia-current (about May 2011).
    You need nvidia version 270 or later..

You should understand that VLC & totem do not use nvidia video hardware decode (VDPAU/PureVideo).
    Your windows setup likely includes "filters" that utilize h/w decode.

Your linux playback is likely using single threaded CPU playback so slow.

XBMC & MythTV & mplayer (variants.. smplayer etc) support VDPAU directly.
    VLC can support VA-API..there is a backend VDPAU for VA-API library in the mix...

Later builds of these support multi-threaded execution.
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; July 20th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Beans

Thanks BicyclerBoy. I'm using 11.04 x64 with the latest updates. The driver version is 270.41.06.

What do I need to do get it to work right? If I wait for a better driver will that fix it? Mplayer had the same issues. I used to have a 210m card, but it didn't have sound via HDMI, which I need. That's why I went with the 520. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You have to get your VLC/mplayer/smplayer from some 3rd party ppa.
    The std ubuntu repos will not likely solve your problems..

Search these forums for smplayer..various people were touting it ..

I am surprised your CPU decode playback is so bad..a core2duo has no problem.
    Could be due to quad core & single thread app.
    CPU decode does put more demand on RAM & the PCIe bus.

To re-iterate:
    VLC can use VA-API but to use this you need to install VAAPI & the VDPAU backend for VA-API.
    (s)mplayer/XBMC/MythTV can drive VDPAU directly.

Note that the GT520 is about as slow as GT210 except is has VDPAU feature set D & is fermi based.
    If you use VDPAU it will be okay.
    Both GT210 & 520 suffer the same problem in that the shaders performance does not allow VA de-interlacing filters & hq scaling (DVD playback etc)
    The GT430 GT530 (oem) are recommended HTPC.
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; July 21st, 2011 at 02:33 AM.