Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop fan will not stop running

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Laptop fan will not stop running

If you hack the BIOS, you might b0rk the BIOS. You b0rk the BIOS, your computer don't boot. In laptops, unless you can source a new BIOS chip and are very good at precision manual soldering, heh...
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickytikki View Post
    the fans run in the bios partition as a program the only way to get it to switch on and off or to switch at what temp it comes on at is to hack the Bios. trust me you dont want to hack you system bios if you dont know what u are doing or know how to read code.
    I've seen threads that discuss and show how to manipulate fan speeds based off of temperatures with programs like powersaved and fancontrol.

Beans
    Hidden!

No. Unless the dv6 has a different structure, the dv7 has no speed-controlling modules. Neither fancontrol in Linux nor Speedfan in Windows can detect anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
    No. Unless the dv6 has a different structure, the dv7 has no speed-controlling modules. Neither fancontrol in Linux nor Speedfan in Windows can detect anything.
    Ah, I see. That's unfortunate. Well thank you for your help.

Beans

I came across this website (http://notebookequus.blogspot.com/20...sdt-table.html) which describes how to fix the issue in Windows Vista, but I am not sure how I would go about doing this in Ubuntu. It worked for a user with dv5 in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...ht/true#U25553

It looks like I need to modify certain parts of a dsdt.aml file, however I cannot find this file on my system.
    Last edited by MrSlaggers; August 12th, 2011 at 04:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hacking the DSDT table is highly not recommended unless you really know whatcha doing.

Beans

I dual boot with Windows 7 now and the fan only runs when needed and turns off when it's not needed. Because the fan is able to work correctly in Windows, I'm sure there must be some way to get it to turn off in Ubuntu. If someone could help me resolve this issue I would be very grateful.

Beans

Bump

Beans

Bump. If I try editing the DSDT table in Windows (http://notebookequus.blogspot.com/20...sdt-table.html), would the changes I make there affect the fan in Ubuntu?

Beans

bump

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast