Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop fan will not stop running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop fan will not stop running

The fan turns on whenthe cpu reaches a certain temp.
    To ensure its turning on at the right time you may want to monitor the cpu temp. There are a variety of desktop cpu utils that you can also choose when it turns on or off. Keeping the cpu cool enough is the main objective of course. For example the i8kmon daemon, http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../i8kmon.1.html. You can also install the sensors applet for a display
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sensors-applet
    sudo sensors-detect

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    So, it fixed itself?
    In a way. It is no longer on all the time like it used to be, however it still turns on randomly without stopping until I do something like put the computer to sleep for a while. I tried adding the acpi_osi=Linux but I'm still getting that behavior. This post from a while back says to add slashes, so that is what I am trying now. I'll let you know if the fan comes on when it shouldn't.

Edit: Unfortunately the slashes don't seem to have worked either. The fan came on randomly again and will not shut off on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by linux_tech View Post
    The fan turns on whenthe cpu reaches a certain temp.
    To ensure its turning on at the right time you may want to monitor the cpu temp. There are a variety of desktop cpu utils that you can also choose when it turns on or off. Keeping the cpu cool enough is the main objective of course. For example the i8kmon daemon, http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../i8kmon.1.html. You can also install the sensors applet for a display
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sensors-applet
    sudo sensors-detect
    Yeah I already have sensors setup. The fan seems to come on regardless of the temperature it shows, and even when it cools down, the fan continues to run.
    Last edited by MrSlaggers; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:08 AM.

Beans

It actually seems to be working now, however, I would like to adjust the temperature points at which it turns on and off. Can anyone help me getting fancontrol working properly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try the sudo pwmconfig command.

Beans

Try the sudo pwmconfig command.
    I get this error:

Code:
    # pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
    This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
    controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
    your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
    circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
    The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
    after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
    physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
    after the program has completed.

/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
    I ran sudo sensors-detect beforehand, but it still doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, as I told you before, no fan sensors are detected.

Beans

Well, as I told you before, no fan sensors are detected.
    So is there any way to detect them?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm running an HP dv7-4101ca. Unless your BIOS isn't Insyde, the following should apply.

• In the BIOS, there is an option, Fan Always On. If you don't want the constant fan, change it to Disabled.
    • The HP dv7 has serious design issues. The shell cannot dissipate heat effectively. Even with Fan Always On at Enabled, I get constant 43°C reported. My dv7 has Turion II P540 and HD4250M. If you ever touched a running Envy 17 with i7-940M and HD6970M, the shell is burning hot. What does that mean? Having Fan Always On is actually beneficial. However I cannot speak for the dv6 as it is somewhat smaller.
    • The whole ACPI thing doesn't work well in Linux. A key problem is having the fan come on at a certain point. It plainly doesn't. With Fan Always On at Disabled, the temperatures reported are at 55°C right after a boot and at higher temps, the fan doesn't come on. Even if the Fan Always On is Enabled, the fan turns at a constant, low speed regardless of the temperature.

All this to say, setting the fan to Off might lead you to constant overheating.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
    I'm running an HP dv7-4101ca. Unless your BIOS isn't Insyde, the following should apply.

• In the BIOS, there is an option, Fan Always On. If you don't want the constant fan, change it to Disabled.
    • The HP dv7 has serious design issues. The shell cannot dissipate heat effectively. Even with Fan Always On at Enabled, I get constant 43°C reported. My dv7 has Turion II P540 and HD4250M. If you ever touched a running Envy 17 with i7-940M and HD6970M, the shell is burning hot. What does that mean? Having Fan Always On is actually beneficial. However I cannot speak for the dv6 as it is somewhat smaller.
    • The whole ACPI thing doesn't work well in Linux. A key problem is having the fan come on at a certain point. It plainly doesn't. With Fan Always On at Disabled, the temperatures reported are at 55°C right after a boot and at higher temps, the fan doesn't come on. Even if the Fan Always On is Enabled, the fan turns at a constant, low speed regardless of the temperature.

All this to say, setting the fan to Off might lead you to constant overheating.
    Yeah, I found that setting early on and disabled it, and at first it didn't seem to work, but now it looks like it might have. The fan is no longer constantly running, however, it's still on a lot of the time, and that's something I want to adjust.

I've noticed that the fan seems to come on around 50-53C, and that it doesn't turn back off until it gets to around 43C. Unfortunately, the system gets to 50-53C quite easily, and the fan is seldom able to cool it down to 43C. What I am hoping to do now is just make it so the fan will turn on and off at higher temperatures, like on at 55C and off at 47C.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlaggers View Post
    Yeah, I found that setting early on and disabled it, and at first it didn't seem to work, but now it looks like it might have. The fan is no longer constantly running, however, it's still on a lot of the time, and that's something I want to adjust.

I've noticed that the fan seems to come on around 50-53C, and that it doesn't turn back off until it gets to around 43C. Unfortunately, the system gets to 50-53C quite easily, and the fan is seldom able to cool it down to 43C. What I am hoping to do now is just make it so the fan will turn on and off at higher temperatures, like on at 55C and off at 47C.
    the fans run in the bios partition as a program the only way to get it to switch on and off or to switch at what temp it comes on at is to hack the Bios. trust me you dont want to hack you system bios if you dont know what u are doing or know how to read code.
    'Dont Steal the Government Hates Competition' !!Ron Paul 2012!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast