Thread: Need working touchpad fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Need working touchpad fix

I don't know what it is about this latest Ubuntu release but, there seems to be a lot of people with the same problem I have - no working touchpad.
    I am trying to help someone out and away from Windows because of the problems she has had with the system crashing, it seems to have been a combination of hard drive and memory problems.
    So I installed Xubuntu 11.04but, couldn't get the touchpad to work. I dabbled with a few files after seeing the problems others were having but, still no joy so I thought I would install Ubuntu 11.04 although it is basically the same system I know. No luck, we still have no working touchpad.
    The device is seen by Ubuntu as a SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad.
    I have edited the xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf file to make sure the driver is not being loaded twice and added parameters to enable the buttons but, still nothing. I have followed a couple of blogs of supposed fixes even following a blog from one of the driver developers for Ubuntu but, still nothing.
    The system works fine with a mouse but, what good is that when the lady carries her laptop around to use on her lap.
    I am pulling my hair out as I had convinced her away from Windows but, now it is looking like I may have to eat my words and reinstall the damned thing. Oh bother... I just tried Ubuntu 10.10 and still no touchpad. how far back do I need to go to get a working pad. I did read somewhere about people being able to use theirs when they downgraded to a previous version.
    If anyone has any ideas, the machine is an Acer 3660 with a Synaptics TouchPad which has a working touchpad when in Windows.
    Thanks for looking.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Need working touchpad fix [SOLVED]

Boy do I feel like a jerk... I was looking at the Acer support for someone with the same problem on an Acer running Windows 7. Guess what - the touchpad was not switched on!!!

Apparently (and I have verified this) you only have to hit Fn+F7 and hey presto, a working touchpad again.

How come nobody here suggested such a simple thing may have been overlooked.

I have searched through quite a few posts and blogs and not one mentions actually switching the touchpad on.

Oh well, we certainly live and LEARN.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...