Thread: Programmable touch device

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Programmable touch device

Hi,

I am looking for a programmable touch device running Linux.
    If anyone of you has worked on them, please direct me to right
    direction.

Thank,
    kcode
    Quantum computers are not known to be able to solve NP-complete problems in polynomial time.
    Scott Aaronson's blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Programmable touch device

An Android phone does is most of the times a touch device, programmable and runs Linux. The same is true for a TomTom or a Garmin GPS (if you hack into it). But I don't suppose you were meaning that. Can you describe what you will use it for?

Does it have to be mobile or not? How big? How cheap/expensive? Standalone or in combination with another computer? ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It would act as a Jukebox at a cafe shop. So, a dedicated programmable touch device with networking support is what i need.

It does sound like a tablet PC, but that would be too costly to invest. Looking for something cheaper.

Thanks,
    kcode
    Quantum computers are not known to be able to solve NP-complete problems in polynomial time.
    Scott Aaronson's blog

Beans
    Hidden!

I believe a touch screen in combination with a cheap pc will be the best thing. If you don't need it any more, you can reuse the pc and the screen for other purposes.

You can buy touch screens from €300 onwards and for example an Asus eeeBox costs less than €300. If you go for a second hand PC, you can even go cheaper. I wouldn't go for a second hand screen though.

The advantages are that you have ultimate flexibility in the programs that can be installed and that the touch screen is quite big and therefore easy to handle.