Thread: Is the Wild Dog Noisy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is the Wild Dog Noisy?

I am considering the purchase of a Wild Dog Computer. The questions benenglish raised in his posting this week and the answers from System 76 covered most of mine. One question is still open for me. This relates to the amount of noise the computer generates. My current computer is a Pentium 4 and it is quite noisy.

Would any Wild Dog user care to comment on the noise level. Is it annoying. Are ear muffs needed. Can a conversation be carried out normally.

I have my computer is a separate office. Background office noise does not mask the computer noise. I put my ear against the name brand towers at the local electronics emporium and they seem to very quiet. However, I know they are just idling and the store's ambient noise covers up a lot of local noise.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is the Wild Dog Noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSailer View Post
    I am considering the purchase of a Wild Dog Computer. The questions benenglish raised in his posting this week and the answers from System 76 covered most of mine. One question is still open for me. This relates to the amount of noise the computer generates. My current computer is a Pentium 4 and it is quite noisy.

Would any Wild Dog user care to comment on the noise level. Is it annoying. Are ear muffs needed. Can a conversation be carried out normally.

I have my computer is a separate office. Background office noise does not mask the computer noise. I put my ear against the name brand towers at the local electronics emporium and they seem to very quiet. However, I know they are just idling and the store's ambient noise covers up a lot of local noise.
    I have a Wild Dog, and the noise is nowhere near as loud as my old Dell Dimension 8200, but now that I think about it, probably slightly louder than the Dell Optiplex 620 that the Wild Dog replaced. Perhaps because the case is 100% aluminum instead of plastic so it creates a bit of an echo chamber? Anyway, it is the only thing in my home office that creates noise and it is in no way bothersome to me. Also, the noise level seems to stay the exact same at all times no matter how heavily I am using it, which is nice.

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I installed a second hard drive and definitely needed the rubber noise deadeners that go around the hard drive screws, because without them the vibrations were loud. The hard drive that comes with the computer already has them, which was nice.

EDIT: I forgot to actually answer your questions. The noise is in no way annoying, I don't even notice it. No earmuffs or ear plugs necessary. Conversations can be had without problem.
    Last edited by ccrs8; July 18th, 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: more specific answers