• Pidgin

32 74.42%
  • Other (explain)

3 6.98%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empathy vs Pidgin vs ?

Beans

Re: Empathy vs Pidgin vs ?

I started off using Gaim, followed that project to Pidgin (since they're the same thing, just before and after the name-change), and have just stuck with it ever since. I haven't run into any issues with it. I don't use video chat, so the fact that that feature is largely missing from Pidgin doesn't affect me.

I've tried Empathy a few times, and I could probably get used to it. But Pidgin serves my needs. Plus I can copy-and-paste the same config files between Linux and Windows (since I use Pidgin there too).
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?

Beans

Most of the features libpurple has that telepathy hasn't really taken advantage of yet aren't necessary for me, and Empathy has far better integration with GNOME 3, my primary desktop environment.

So I use Empathy. I also use it because I believe telepathy is a great project that could provide a very good base for communications in the future. It's still in its beginning stages, really- it just needs a little work on the essentials (video/audio/file transfers). Aside from that, it's good enough for my uses, and it supports Adium themes on 64-bit.

I guess my needs from an IM are far different from most people who use Pidgin, although it used to be my primary chat application. I just don't see a lot that either program doesn't do well. For me, arguing Pidgin vs. Empathy is a lot like arguing Firefox vs. Chromium (if you forget about the privacy issues).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use Pidgin, always have. Only problem I have is that custom emoticons from other people in my chat dont show up. They just show as a black square with a red diagonal line through them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12