Thread: problem printing to lexmark e120n over network

Beans

problem printing to lexmark e120n over network

hi there all - recieved a network printer (lexmark e120n) which i connected to my home network using ethernet. it works fine printing from windows xp but not from my ubuntu natty. ubuntu finds it allright and automaticly find and install the driver (e120n foomatic/postscript). the laptop will go through the printing process notifying me that it was sent to the printer but the printer is not printing nada. it wont even print the self-test page.
    any idea what i should do?
    cheers
    michel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: problem printing to lexmark e120n over network

Hi Michel,

Try removing the printer and re-adding it manually by typing in the IP address. I have a Brother Network Printer and it seems this is the only way to get it to work properly.

Hope that helps and its a simple solution.
    ~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Hi Michel,

Try removing the printer and re-adding it manually by typing in the IP address. I have a Brother Network Printer and it seems this is the only way to get it to work properly.

Hope that helps and its a simple solution.
    ~Caboose
    Like Caboose, I have a couple networked Brother printers. I don't have first-hand experience with Lexmark. You're fortunate that your Lexmark printer does what it does; Lexmark is notorious in the desktop Linux world and not in a good way. I've had the best success by typing in the "device URI" box the following: "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" where x represents the I.P. address digits. This has been reliable for me. My automatic install uses "dnssd://something......". That has proven unreliable over time for me. The other thing you could try would be to type the following in a browser window: "http://localhost:631/printers" and see if anything interesting pops up.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; June 19th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Beans

Hi Caboose - thank you very much for taking the time to suggest your solution but cant figure out where to input the ip address manually as you suggested...
    cheers
    michel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    Like Caboose, I have a couple networked Brother printers. I don't have first-hand experience with Lexmark. You're fortunate that your Lexmark printer does what it does; Lexmark is notorious in the desktop Linux world and not in a good way. I've had the best success by typing in the "device URI" box the following: "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" where x represents the I.P. address digits. This has been reliable for me. My automatic install uses "dnssd://something......". That has proven unreliable over time for me. The other thing you could try would be to type the following in a browser window: "http://localhost:631/printers" and see if anything interesting pops up.
    hi there walt and thank you too for the reply - tried inserting the ip into uri field as suggested and tried the http://localhost:631/printers option, tried to print a test page from there and tried to add new printer through there and still no joy...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I must say that I have had good luck with technical support from Lexmark. Did you download the Lexmark drivers from their web site? Install them.

I have a Lexmark 905 Platinum multifunction wireless printer and had no problem installing the appropriate drivers for 32bit 8.04. Installing the 64bit drivers for my 10.04 installation was a bit tough. But between the experts at both Lexmark and System76 I got the drivers to work. You might try calling Lexmark and see if you can get some phone help, I found them to be quite good.

So far Lexmark has been extremely helpful when I have had problems with their printer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmoalem View Post
    hi there all - recieved a network printer (lexmark e120n) which i connected to my home network using ethernet. it works fine printing from windows xp but not from my ubuntu natty. ubuntu finds it allright and automaticly find and install the driver (e120n foomatic/postscript). the laptop will go through the printing process notifying me that it was sent to the printer but the printer is not printing nada. it wont even print the self-test page.
    any idea what i should do?
    cheers
    michel
    I had the same issue with the same printer. Try changing the driver from the Postscript to the PCL5. That worked for me. The bummer is that you can no long view the ink levels/etc from the desktop, but it works.