Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't accept password

Beans

Re: Won't accept password

Hi all!

I'm new to Ubuntu - just recently did a 12.04 install on HP dc7600 with pentium 4, 3.2ghz cpu and 3 gigs ram.

I'm liking it a lot so far, but I turned off the password to log in (it's a family compu so don't need to type that all the time). When I went to install some software today and typed my password to authenticate, no go! I know absolutely I have the correct password (I'd been using it all along before). Checked caps and all that.

Did the password reset in the root, but that said password change denied, parameter incorrect, something-or-other.

Tried booting from usb to mount the main drive and remove password in 'shadow' file, but it registered no password between the first two semicolons (where HELP said it should be). As if I already had removed it. But entering no password as the next step in help says is to no avail either.

Anyway, I'm stumped at this point - could turning off the login password have done this to me?
    Will I have to do a reinstall to fix the issue (and then leave the password on, though it's unhandy?)

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Anthony

Beans

Re: Won't accept password

Hi again!

I found another thread relating to this problem, and discovered why my root passwd reset didn't work: I needed to remount the root in read-write - apparently Ubuntu HELP hasn't been updated as to this more recent requirement. For anyone who needs to do this, find a good how-to here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Still not sure why turning off password at login would initiate the problem, but I'm up and running again!

Anthony

Beans

Smile Re: Won't accept password

Hi again!

I found another thread relating to this problem, and discovered why my root passwd reset didn't work: I needed to remount the root in read-write - apparently Ubuntu HELP hasn't been updated as to this more recent requirement. For anyone who needs to do this, find a good how-to here:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Still not sure why turning off password at login would initiate the problem, but I'm up and running again!

Anthony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12