Thread: Bind super key to "activate Gnome-Do"

Beans

Bind super key to "activate Gnome-Do"

I installed Gnome-Do and you can give it a shortcut key to launch it (make it appear), but it doesn't accept "super" key as a launch key, only combinations of super and another key.

I want to make it so that just super / windows / flag key makes it appear. Any way to do this?
    "What does fighting crime mean, exactly? Does it mean upholding the law when a woman shoplifts to feed her children, or does it mean struggling to uncover the ones who, quite legally, have brought about her poverty?"
    Adrian Veidt, Watchmen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Bind super key to "activate Gnome-Do"

Quote Originally Posted by sekinto View Post
    I want to make it so that just super / windows / flag key makes it appear. Any way to do this?
    This key may be already used in another definition, for example, holding in this key then scrolling the mouse wheel, will zoom in on the desktop (with desktop effects enabled).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DawieS View Post
    This key may be already used in another definition, for example, holding in this key then scrolling the mouse wheel, will zoom in on the desktop (with desktop effects enabled).
    I don't have that feature enabled. And I'm pretty sure it is just a Gnome-Do thing, it won't let you use modifier keys by themselves. I was wondering if there was some kind of workaround.
    "What does fighting crime mean, exactly? Does it mean upholding the law when a woman shoplifts to feed her children, or does it mean struggling to uncover the ones who, quite legally, have brought about her poverty?"
    Adrian Veidt, Watchmen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i don't think it's a gnome-do thing. In unity Super is hardcoded for dash, but i don't think you can use it as a standalone hotkey in plain gnome. Goto hotkey configuration in preferences, try to add some bogus entry and you will see that nothing happens when you only press Super

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sekinto View Post
    I was wondering if there was some kind of workaround.
    All the keys that are shown as Disabled in Keyboard Shortcuts, are already assigned by default in Gnome. If you install compizconfig-settings-manager in Synaptic, you may change those default settings to some other keys (make sure there are no conflicts). Thereafter, you will be able to define the (now unused) key in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Beans

I'd like to do that as well. Sadly as far as I could find out this is not possible with gnome-do:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/17594...hortcut/176430

I want to use gnome-do as a surrogate for dash on Lubuntu, because my laptop isn't able to run Gnome3, Cinnamon or Dash smoothly.

I opened a bug report regarding this, so if anyone is interested in this "feature", please say so there:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/do/+bug/1093004

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by nickless View Post
    I'd like to do that as well. Sadly as far as I could find out this is not possible with gnome-do:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/17594...hortcut/176430

I want to use gnome-do as a surrogate for dash on Lubuntu, because my laptop isn't able to run Gnome3, Cinnamon or Dash smoothly.

I opened a bug report regarding this, so if anyone is interested in this "feature", please say so there:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/do/+bug/1093004
    Bump. I'm using Xubuntu, and kinda want to do the same thing, using Gnome Do as a dash surrogate.
    Still hoping a distribution will one day be called "Stylish Skunk"...

[running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X121e]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.