Thread: Move Unity to the bottom

Beans

Move Unity to the bottom

Is it possible to move the Unity bar to the bottom running horizontally instead of vertically along the left side?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Move Unity to the bottom

Not yet possible. Might be possible in the next release, chances are few though.

You can run any other dock e.g. AWN in the bottom in 11.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Now here is a strange thing, considering the impression that the Launcher cannot yet be moved.

When I open the Unity plugin under CompizConfigSettingsManager, there is button with the label Reveal mode. It has a description that says: from which edge should the launcher reveal. I have not tried this. It suits me to have the launcher on the left. It may do what you want.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Didn't yet get the point what that Reveal mode is meant for. It doesn't work.

Beans

The position of the launcher cannot be moved.
    The reveal mode is on which edge you put the mouse to show the launcher when hidden.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: Move Unity to the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    The position of the launcher cannot be moved.
    The reveal mode is on which edge you put the mouse to show the launcher when hidden.
    Yes... I figured that out too this morning. Find I don't care much for the launcher and also for some reason when I open up the Applications panel/dash(?) some of the apps show up being off screen. Could be my resolution but this monitor doesn't appear to handle higher res without flaking out, ie: giving out wavy lines on the bottom half of the screen. It's a ancient CRT that still works mostly but for that problem.

I'm also contemplating switching to the Classic view. I'd love to see a few screenshot comparisons between the two.

So is this AWN that I keep seeing in the forums some kind of tweak that might move the launcher to the bottom? It's not much of a big deal now I've discovered I can hide the thing by setting it to only open when I move the mouse to the upper left hand corner.

Why also are the terms "Unity" and "Launcher" used in the same context? Are they one and the same or is Launcher simply a part of the greater Unity? Greater Unity...heh, that's a good one. Like as if there ever could be such a thing in this world.

Last edited by PayPaul; September 23rd, 2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Move Unity to the bottom

Addendum to previous reply: I just discovered if I move the mouse cursor all the way to the left hand corner of the screen Launcher appears in full not just a piece of it. I've been on Ubuntu for a week and feel like I'm embarking on a long trek but every day seems to bring a new eureka moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, that feeling never seems to go away. For good or ill. = )

Quote Originally Posted by PayPaul
    Why also are the terms "Unity" and "Launcher" used in the same context? Are they one and the same or is Launcher simply a part of the greater Unity? Greater Unity...heh, that's a good one. Like as if there ever could be such a thing in this world.
    It's just confusion with the terms - Unity is the whole interface, the plugin that provides both the top panel and the left-hand Launcher. You'll also hear the Launcher referred to as a dock in many contexts (which it effectively is, but it can still lead to some confusion.) The top panel is, properly, referred to as a panel, but some users will call it the "menu bar," etc.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that clarification. I must say that a good number of posters in this forum tend to throw out terms as if everybody knows what they're talking about. I never like to do that when I'm explaining concepts to novices. It may also be a matter of where and what threads I'm looking at and to be taken in context with the subject of the original threads posted.

The explanation I got for what a dock is certainly led me to understand the basics of what the Launcher is. I'm fairly content with its behavior as I've set it for now. The last thing I need is another program that could goof up and entangle itself with other packages right now. Unless of course that's a problem exclusive to ******* only. I do wonder if adding Dock packages for desktop customization purposes can interfere with the original Unity interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I never like to do that when I'm explaining concepts to novices. It may also be a matter of where and what threads I'm looking at and to be taken in context with the subject of the original threads posted.
    Honestly, it's often very hard to guess exactly how much a particular user knows. I personally find myself guessing at whether I'm over-explaining.

Unless of course that's a problem exclusive to ******* only.
    It's less of a problem than in Windows. Installing another dock isn't likely to cause you any problems; installing another desktop environment altogether might muss up some of your default applications for particular file types, or something to that effect, and occasionally there can be other unexpected conflicts if apps depend on shared resources. (Not the conflicting library or plugin version issues, though, which is nice.)

But yeah, may as well stick to the defaults while you're getting used to the basics. = )
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; September 23rd, 2011 at 06:26 PM.