Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help compiling compat-wireless

Beans

need help compiling compat-wireless

Hi,

so I'm asking for help compiling compat-wireless

running 11.04 on an asus 1201n
    wireless has not been great, cuts in and out.

other folks have said they are using a driver from compat-wireless, was trying to do the same, but so far have failed.

i downloaded ompat-wireless-3.0-rc4-1.tar.bz2
    followed the instructions from that site -- everything seemed to work except after reboot no wifi. still use rtl8192se_pci which i believe is the default with natty and is also not good.

output of

Code:
    gilad@maya:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0280
    07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8171] (rev 10)
    gilad@maya:~$
    hope you can help thanks
    -gilad

EDIT -- I think i just found my problem. newbie mistake i think.
    i updated my ubuntu in the same sesion i installed the drivers from compat. the result is that my ubuntu now loads a newer kernel header than I installed the driver went from. so i guess i just have to reinstall it in this version? will try

still curious what your hunch is chilli
    Last edited by GiladGressel; July 16th, 2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: learned more about my problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: need help compiling compat-wireless

still use rtl8192se_pci which i believe is the default with natty and is also not good.
    I think the underlying issue is firmware. Let's have a look at:
    Code:
    modinfo rtl8192se-pci
    ls /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    I am not sure 3.0-rc4 is best, I think it's designed for kernel 3.0-rc4. If you are running Natty, you probably have 2.6.38.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

ok
    so i did successfully make the compat driver run.however once it ran i couldn't connect at all
    so i ran make uninstall

it's true that 3.0 seems geared to a higher kernel than mine, i only tried it because other people reported it working from the r8192se thread. and in thejpsters post it listed his kernel as lower so i thought it may work

here is the output from your request
    Code:
    gilad@maya:~$ modinfo r8192se_pci
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.38-10-generic/kernel/ubuntu/rtl8192se/r8192se_pci.ko
    license:        GPL
    version:        0017.0507.2010
    author:         Copyright(c) 2008 - 2010 Realsil Semiconductor Corporation <wlanfae@realtek.com>
    description:    Linux driver for Realtek RTL819x WiFi cards
    srcversion:     15A8DFA339847552659BE80
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008174sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008173sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008172sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008171sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008192sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    depends:        cfg80211
    vermagic:       2.6.38-10-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 686 
    parm:           ifname: Net interface name, wlan%d=default (charp)
    parm:           hwwep: Try to use hardware WEP support(default use hw. set 0 to use software security) (int)
    parm:           channels: Channel bitmask for specific locales. NYI (int)
    gilad@maya:~$ ls /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    rtl8192cfw.bin  rtl8192cufw.bin  rtl8192defw.bin  rtl8192sefw.bin  rtl8712u.bin
    gilad@maya:~$

Beans
    Distro

It gets weirder by the moment. You have the stock version which does not require firmware...but you have the firmware! Before we break out the toolbox, please tell me what about the current driver is not working as expected.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

ok

so, i load my computer. i connect to the available wirless network (currently in a hotel so it's called attwifi -- no password just a click on "agree to terms and services" and not every time either)

it works for awhile. roughly 2-3 minutes then it stops working.

then i get annoyed and force to reload the wifi by clicking on the network again. it goes through a process where it either loads it or doesn't. often it automatically reverts to an ad-hoc network i use.

i have taken to running modprobe r8192se_pci in order to force it back on track.

when i was home connecting to a password encrypted network i would simply lose connection. It won't show that it loses connection -- the internet just stops moving.

can hold a connection for even up to an hour I think. not really sure how long
    currently it's been connected for about 15 minutes which seems long to me

hope that helps sorry i rambled
    i have to leave for awhile now will be back in a few hours
    if you leave me a list of commands etc to run I'm very happy to post them

-gilad
    Last edited by GiladGressel; July 16th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Let's go ahead and try compat-wireless. Please go here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Do...ng_the_tarball

Download the file to your desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Now do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/compat
    Press Tab and the rest will fill in automatically. Next do:
    Code:
    ./scripts/driver-select rtlwifi
    make
    sudo make install
    The new module is called rtl8192se. The one referenced above is r8192se_pci.
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/compat/compat.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192c/rtl8192c-common.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192ce/rtl8192ce.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192de/rtl8192de.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192se/rtl8192se.ko
    INSTALL /home/chili/test2/compat-wireless-2011-07-15/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko
    Just so there is no difficulty, let's blacklist r8192se_pci:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo "blacklist r8192se_pci" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo rtl8192se >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Reboot and let us have your report.

Beans

So I followed all instructions to the t
    Upon loading it worked beautifully for about 30 seconds and then stopped altogether I have been trying to coax it back to no avail

I am sure the correct module is running because I checked with lsmod it's listed under rtlwifi as rtl8192se

Any other ideas ?
    This driver has been a pain for ubuntu for awhile I used to run ndiswrapper in 10.10 but that driver gets weak signals and slow speeds for me
    In 10.04 there was a ppa by Matt price but that is also no longer good

That's about all I can say
    Thanks for helping I'm ready to try more things

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by GiladGressel View Post
    So I followed all instructions to the t
    Upon loading it worked beautifully for about 30 seconds and then stopped altogether I have been trying to coax it back to no avail

I am sure the correct module is running because I checked with lsmod it's listed under rtlwifi as rtl8192se

Any other ideas ?
    This driver has been a pain for ubuntu for awhile I used to run ndiswrapper in 10.10 but that driver gets weak signals and slow speeds for me
    In 10.04 there was a ppa by Matt price but that is also no longer good

That's about all I can say
    Thanks for helping I'm ready to try more things
    Could you show us the

Code:
    lsmod
    and

Code:
    rfkill list all
    You have Chili working here with you and it does not get any better I am just curious..
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro

Let's also see:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -e wlan -e 819
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep etwork | tail -n20
    If the second command is sparse, try syslog.1. Thanks.

Beans

Ok quick question before I run the codes
    Do you want those logs running the installed compat driver or with the native natty driver?
    Currently I ran sudo make uninstall and reversed the blacklist and module entries you had me make (was on auto pilot cleanup mode)
    Given what others have posted I'm inclined to think the compat driver is more effective than the native driver so should we be focused on getting that to work?
    Thanks for the help!
    Gilad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast