Thread: ubuntu sure has changed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Where are my files?

Alright, this isnt my first round with ubuntu and certainly wont be the last lol. anyway i recently installed ubuntu 11.04 via WUBI (Make way for the wubi sucks comments lol), so far i've had no problem with it everything works but i cant access the files on the drive that ubuntu is installed under. Here is how it is setup on this machine. I have the original 80GB hard drive with windows vista installed working fine, yes i used the words vista and working at the same time! my other drive is a 250 gb hard drive i use for my music and media storage on this machine. thats where i have ubuntu installed because obviously it has more space than the 80gb. but is there anyway i can get to my files on that drive. I am open to also installing ubuntu traditionally but dont think that i really should need to cause i had 9 on like this before.
    Thanks for the help and this is all i think i need help with for now.

Dell dimension 8300 desktop full tower
    Intel pentium 4 2.8GHZ HT
    1.5GB DDR Ram
    Windows vista biz SP2 on 80GB HDD
    Ubuntu 11.04 on 250GB Wubi install drive
    Nvidia Geforce 6200 512mb AGP
    Soundmax? Onboard audio
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 PCI Audio, works but would rather not use
    DVD+/-RW Drive (HP) reads discs but wont play encrypted DVDs- yet!
    -Works pretty good for a nearly 10 year old system!-
    Last edited by renodude18; July 16th, 2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Lack of replies...

Beans
    Distro

Re: ubuntu sure has changed...

**Bump**

Beans

Re: Where are my files?

Never used wubi so that might make things different but I'll try and help.

Ubuntu normally will be under a different partition. I think wubi uses virtual disks and I'm not quite sure how that works.

Linux uses Ext* file systems which windows can't deal with by default. You can read them using certain software such as Ext2read (http://ext2read.blogspot.com/) though.

Apparently the virtual disks for Wubi are located in C:\ubuntu\disks\

Beans

Look in /host.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Where are my files?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh971 View Post
    Never used wubi so that might make things different but I'll try and help.

Ubuntu normally will be under a different partition. I think wubi uses virtual disks and I'm not quite sure how that works.

Linux uses Ext* file systems which windows can't deal with by default. You can read them using certain software such as Ext2read (http://ext2read.blogspot.com/) though.

Apparently the virtual disks for Wubi are located in C:\ubuntu\disks\
    Thank you for the reply Hugh971! Wubi does kinda complicate things a bit but i'm sure there is a way. I dont really need to access the files from ubuntu in windows but thanks for the link, i'll use that in case i do in the future. But i'm mainly trying to read the files that are on the same drive as ubuntu is installed. which does not have a OS, but it is formatted in NTFS for windows. again thanks for the response and help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    Look in /host.
    I checked most all files in there thinking it would be there because in other versions of wubi/ubuntu i was able to see the files on the drive in the file system folder, they were then accessible but now idk where they all went. there still there as windows which i'm on right this second is able to access them still. Thanks for the help!