Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital camera's

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Digital camera's

Heya GEMMA, this is a Ubuntu Linux oriented forum, so requesting help for a WinXP problem is a little odd--but perhaps not totally out of line, since I bet the folks around here know more about windows than the average posters on a Windows forum. LOL. I do hope you sort your problem.

I've the same camera, and though it works great and shows up nicely on the desktop when plugged in with Ubuntu, I've not tried it as a webcam on Linux.

Good luck.

Beans

Is most everyone using cameras that transfer images via USB?
    I have an Olympus D340R which transfers images via a serial cable. I am able to transer images in OS/2 so I thought Linux shouldn't be too difficult. So far I have had no success getting this to work with Warty. Used Syanaptic to install a program fo image transfers, serial and USB. It even has a driver for my camera. But so far Warty has not been able to detect the camera on ports 1-4. Probably stupid operator error at fault but it is getting frustrating not being able to determine where the stupidity lies.

Beans

FUJI FINEPIX A330 yahoo webcam problem

Hey Landotter. Thanks for the reply. I know this is a linux forum but its the only only forum I have seen that is talking about my Fuji finepix A330 digital camera so I was hoping someone has had my problem and fixed it . It's cool though thanks for the reply reguardless . I hope someone can figure this out .

Beans

You can buy any digital camera on the market and get your pictures into a Linux machine. Just buy a USB card reader.

Beans

I appreciate a USB multi-card reader will do the job. My preference is not to have to remove the SmartMedia card every time I want to transfer images. I don't have a lot of confidence in the durability of SmartMedia cards. Thus I am trying to make the serial connection work... if I can't I fall back to a card reader.

Beans

I take it all USB card readers are not created equally. Is this because some manufacturers do not adhere to the strict USB 2.0 standard? If this is the case what clues can help one determine a card reader that will work with Linux?

It doesn't seem to me that the fact drivers are included with the card reader indicate anything useful. Drivers are needed for Windows 98 for instance. Does Mac OS X compatibility offer a clue to Linux friendliness?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    I take it all USB card readers are not created equally. Is this because some manufacturers do not adhere to the strict USB 2.0 standard? If this is the case what clues can help one determine a card reader that will work with Linux?

It doesn't seem to me that the fact drivers are included with the card reader indicate anything useful. Drivers are needed for Windows 98 for instance. Does Mac OS X compatibility offer a clue to Linux friendliness?
    I've read that Sandisk readers are very good and comply to the USB standards. I bought a Sandisk 8 in 1 and I haven't had any issues at all. I also use Sandisk compact flash cards with no issue under any platform I've worked on.

Beans

I got tired of trying to achieve serial image transfers from the Olympus D340R using gPhoto2. Picked up a Lexar 8in1 card reader and it works just fine with Ubuntu. The added bonus I had not considered is the ability to transfer files between memory cards, in my case between SmartMedia and SD.

Beans
    Hidden!

Seriously, just make sure that you can use the camera as a usb hard drive and all will work fine.
    I know the original poster has his mind made up, but to others, the most important thing is that it's a good camera. Most cameras nowadays will work as usb drives, so that's rarely an issue.
    Our Photosmart works amazingly well. It's a 2.4 megapixel, but I SWEAR those images look much higher quality than that. Only 200 bucks a year and a half ago.

Beans

Hey I solved the problem with FinePix WebCam! New Fuji cameras use WDM driver, while MSN and Yahoo support only Video for Windows. Therefore you need some sort of middleware to ‘downgrade’ it back. I used TrackerCam and it worked good for both Yahoo Messenger (6) and MSN Messenger (6.2), plus it has some neat tricks. I’m using FinePix A340. This should also help some folks with DV camcorders with USB or Fireware that want to use it as a web cam. For more info check my blog http://bobioso.blogspot.com/.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast