Thread: Install ubuntu text only mode in VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Install ubuntu text only mode in VirtualBox

Hi all. As a measure to improve my learning curve by experimenting and messing around with config files, I would like to install Ubuntu in Virtualbox in text only mode. This would save disk space, improve learn the OS better and also gives the freedom to mess around without worrying too much. Can anyone tell me how to install a simple version of Ubuntu 8.04 (that's the distro I choose since it requires lesser RAM than the current version) in virtualbox in text only mode? During the installation there doesn't seem to be a choice in installation modes. If not, should we install the OS normally and change the run levels afterwards to boot in text mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Install ubuntu text only mode in VirtualBox

If memory serves, you'll need to download the alternate installer from the website. It has the options for things like text only/server/etc in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am confused as to what you want to do. If you want to install Ubuntu using text mode, then get an alternative CD download. They do not have a Graphical User Interface for the install process.

If you want a version of Linux without a GUI and only the command line, then you are wanting something different. Rescue mode would give you the same thing. Or you could start your experiment by un-installing the various parts that make up a desktop until all you are left with is the Command Line Interface.

There a some rescue downloads available. I am guessing that they give you LInux without a GUI and just the CLI.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I somehow managed to find an option for text only install and it installs the same way like an alternate cd install. See screenshots in attachment.

Unfortunately I'm unable to complete the install as the CD is old and seems to be corrupted. So I will download the alternate CD iso and post my feedback after installing.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images