Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To game or not to game

Beans

Re: To game or not to game

@KirdanRocks: After years of battling to get so many of them to work properly I took the easy way out for Linux & games; I bought a PS3 = easy gaming on my 24" Samsung LCD computer monitor, with sound going to an audio amplifier. Skyrim has been confirmed for the PS3 too.

Beyond the foregoing, I'm not saying that there aren't any great games that are native Linux, there are. I've been enjoying Sacred - Gold lately, for example.

It is just that getting many made for Windows games to work at their best via Wine or Crossover Games, can be difficult & there are often glitches one way or another.

So again, if you are a gamer that wants to play the latest & the greatest, you will usually be disappointed as a Linux user. So dual boot Windows/Ubuntu, if you want to use the latest games & learn about Linux - Ubuntu is a great place to do that, terrific community here.

Or, for gaming, get a PS3 (& possibly a suitable monitor) instead of a new computer & use some of the money you saved to buy some games, upgrade your old computer if possible, whatever...

You could still dual boot on the computer you have now & learn about Linux. Win, win as I see it.

Beans

Thanks to everyone for the good replies. As I have learned from this thread, Windows seems to be the best OS for the new blockbuster-games. Simply because they run natively on it. Well, I guess I have to take some extra hours to get those 600 DKr (the currency in Denmark) that Win7 costs. Still, I am certain that I will run Ubuntu on atleast one of my computers. Dualboot could also be an option.

I am quite hooked on Ubuntu now, so maybe I should try to run it on my old stationary computer or on this notebook. Both of these computers are running slower and slower, so I guess Ubuntu could really buff them up.

On a side note: I have a PS3 and I played/play TESIV: Oblivion on it. It is great fun, but I miss the option to mod the game and I am tired of the some what sloppy graphics on the PS3. Many games which are converted to run on the gaming consoles lacks support from the developer and have ugly textures.

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies, there is really a quite comitted community for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Do what most of my friends do:

Play casual games and emulator games on the computer, get a PS3 or 360 for mainstream gaming.

Just about all games are console only or console primary these days anyways

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by KirdanRocks View Post
    On a side note: I have a PS3 and I played/play TESIV: Oblivion on it. It is great fun, but I miss the option to mod the game and I am tired of the some what sloppy graphics on the PS3. Many games which are converted to run on the gaming consoles lacks support from the developer and have ugly textures.
    i think PS3 is quite old by PC standards. it has a 256MB graphics card if i am not mistaking. pcs now have 2 GB cards that work on 6 monitors similtaneously.
    PS3:

256 MB system and 256 MB video
    Graphics 550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'

BTW: Reality Synthesizer is a modified GeForce 7800

256 MB system and 256 MB videoDisplay
    Video output formats
    Graphics550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'

i wouldn't go the way of a console. their game design is often simplified (at least these older consolses with pads).

graphics on consoles will always lag behind those on PC, simply because they make games on PC and then they adopt them for consoles. so that's a logical consequence.

Another bad thing is that games are more expecnive for some reason, though i see now PC games comming close with their prices.

Finnaly you can say goodbye to mods and such. at leats for now.

Funny thing when Halo cam eout on XBOX it had a super feature that you can do multiplayer over network with up to 16 players. That made me laugh, as mostly i was running and playing games at the time with 32+ players.

For Skyrim windows is the way to go (unelss you want to deal with consoles issues, then consoles might also be a solution).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KirdanRocks View Post

Actually, the PS3 version of Oblivion has the highest standard of graphics of any Oblivion release.

But I agree the PS3 has been around for a while now & the graphic display on current GPUs will certainly out perform what the PS3 can do.

It comes down to what satisfies you personally.

I expect I'll end up with a PS4, & if so, it won't be until the PS4 has been around for a couple of years.

One of the things I really like about the PS3, is that I can by all of my games so cheap 2nd hand at EB games.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Actually, the PS3 version of Oblivion has the highest standard of graphics of any Oblivion release.
    Again this can not be possible as it was developed on PC.
    One of the things I really like about the PS3, is that I can by all of my games so cheap 2nd hand at EB games.
    yeah that's an option. problem is lately they are trying to prevent just these. second hand purchases. and i am upset with steam and the like that does this. apparently they are actually loosing money through second hand deals.

still PS3 and Xbox are very good toys. or they can also be used to watch movies. wish i had more money to buy one of those as my wife plays games only with game pads. so if i even have money i will either get her a good working pad (and game to go with it) or get one of those consoles.

also i think that consoles are very good for racing games. as well (i think because they were more modified to fit conosles- menues etc) Football games and some other sports games are now better suited to consoles than PC.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12