Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Which file to download exactly

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    423

    Which file to download exactly

    Hi,

    I would like to download the latest version of Gentoo which is version 11.0, but I am a bit confused as to which file to download from the official web site here. I want a normal 32 bit DVD version, not 64 bit or not amd architecture etc. So I followed the following processes step by step.

    http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml

    Once opening this page, I click on a link/mirror called Michigan Tech University (http)*

    and went to this page...

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/

    there are many folders on this page, so I clicked on a folder named "releases" and then opened this page...

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/

    On this page I clicked on the last folder called "x86" and opened this page..

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/x86

    which has a folder called 11.0 and I clicked on it to open this page..

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/x86/11.0/

    Here on this page I think I should download the very first file called livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso

    worth 2.3 GB.


    Am I correct here? Please guide me as this link livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso
    has the word amd64 in it and I am not sure whether it is meant for a normal 32 bit pc. Sorry for the long post, but I need help. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    Hi,

    I would like to download the latest version of Gentoo which is version 11.0, but I am a bit confused as to which file to download from the official web site here. I want a normal 32 bit DVD version, not 64 bit or not amd architecture etc. So I followed the following processes step by step.

    http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml

    Once opening this page, I click on a link/mirror called Michigan Tech University (http)*

    and went to this page...

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/

    there are many folders on this page, so I clicked on a folder named "releases" and then opened this page...

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/

    On this page I clicked on the last folder called "x86" and opened this page..

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/x86

    which has a folder called 11.0 and I clicked on it to open this page..

    http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/x86/11.0/

    Here on this page I think I should download the very first file called livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso

    worth 2.3 GB.


    Am I correct here? Please guide me as this link livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso
    has the word amd64 in it and I am not sure whether it is meant for a normal 32 bit pc. Sorry for the long post, but I need help. Thanks

    http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/gentoo//releases/x86/11.0/

    top one.

    if you look here http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

    at the bottom it says live DVD and it ios the same file as you stated at end livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso

    so yes your last link was fine
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    423

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    if you look here http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

    at the bottom it says live DVD and it ios the same file as you stated at end livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso

    so yes your last link was fine
    Ok, thanks a lot. The word amd64 confused me a bit, so I had to ask a long question. Thanks indeed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    423

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Hi haqking,

    I have another query for you, please guide me again with this one. I would like to download the latest Debian 6.0.2.1 32 bit DVD standard pc version and here I am at a page that has many files to choose from. But I understand that I can download any of the following 8 files, right?

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...1/i386/bt-dvd/

    thanks a lot, sir.
    Last edited by tech291083; August 5th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    Hi haqking,

    I have another query for you, please guide me again with this one. I would like to download the latest Gentoo 6.0.2.1 32 bit DVD standard pc version and here I am at a page that has many files to choose from. But I understand that I can download any of the following 8 files, right?

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...1/i386/bt-dvd/

    thanks a lot, sir.

    Well that Debian, not gentoo.

    And the files are torrent files so yoe need a torrent manager to download the file. There are 8 files for the 8 dvds, however you dont need all of them.

    however you said you wanted gentoo
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    423

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Well that Debian, not gentoo.

    And the files are torrent files so yoe need a torrent manager to download the file. There are 8 files for the 8 dvds, however you dont need all of them.

    however you said you wanted gentoo
    sorry, my mistake yes, it is Debian indeed. I want both Debian and Gentoo to try out. I have BitTorrent installed so it is not a worry. Yes, I know that I do not need all of the 8 DVDs. But my question is whether downloading one of them will be ok. thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,807

    Re: Which file to download exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    sorry, my mistake yes, it is Debian indeed. I want both Debian and Gentoo to try out. I have BitTorrent installed so it is not a worry. Yes, I know that I do not need all of the 8 DVDs. But my question is whether downloading one of them will be ok. thanks

    well i would download the net install which is small http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst choose the small cd version which is about 180 mb.

    then download whats needed based on your choices during install.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •