Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question router advice

Hi, i am wanting to purchase a Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL router because i heard it was linux based.I was wanting to know if you can use it with cable internet? has anyone had any experience with one? any advice will be appreciated, thanks
    Running through the field Where all my tracks will be concealed.

Beans

Re: router advice

Quote Originally Posted by boregard View Post
    Hi, i am wanting to purchase a Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL router because i heard it was linux based.I was wanting to know if you can use it with cable internet? has anyone had any experience with one? any advice will be appreciated, thanks
    99.9% of all home/residential routers run Linux or some type thereof. (I am making that figure up by the way)

According to its manual yes it accepts cable, though I dont know if it supports high speed such as vDSL

It only offers 54G Wireless though, which will slow down a Fast Internet Connection considerably, for example i have a 75Mbps connection and if i used wireless it would be slower than my Internet itself
    Last edited by haqking; December 13th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Linksys WRT54G and have used it perfectly well with both cable and DSL. I am quite confident the GL will also work perfectly once configured.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

You don't need to get the WRT54GL specifically. The WRT54G itself comes in many versions. I have a version 4, which as I understand it is basically the same hardware as the WRT54GL. You might be able to find some V4's cheaply.

You can run the Linux-based DD-WRT firmware on almost any WRT54G router, no matter what version, but versions 5 and newer can't run the full image (with OpenVPN, etc.) WRT54GL can run the full image. Check the router database on www.dd-wrt.com to confirm which versions of the router run what version of the firmware. There are other Linux-based firmwares like Tomato and OpenWRT as well.

The WRT54G/GL is a great router to use as a gateway - rock-solid. But I probably wouldn't buy one unless you can get one for very cheap. I'd probably buy a newer router instead that supports 802.11n - like the Asus RT-N13U/B1 which is sometimes on sale. I have a couple of those, too. They run a full image of DD-WRT too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    You don't need to get the WRT54GL specifically. The WRT54G itself comes in many versions. I have a version 4, which as I understand it is basically the same hardware as the WRT54GL. You might be able to find some V4's cheaply.

You can run the Linux-based DD-WRT firmware on almost any WRT54G router, no matter what version, but versions 5 and newer can't run the full image (with OpenVPN, etc.) WRT54GL can run the full image. Check the router database on www.dd-wrt.com to confirm which versions of the router run what version of the firmware. There are other Linux-based firmwares like Tomato and OpenWRT as well.

The WRT54G/GL is a great router to use as a gateway - rock-solid. But I probably wouldn't buy one unless you can get one for very cheap. I'd probably buy a newer router instead that supports 802.11n - like the Asus RT-N13U/B1 which is sometimes on sale. I have a couple of those, too. They run a full image of DD-WRT too.
    I am assuming the OP doesnt know too much about routers to be asking the question, I dont think buying one then potentially bricking it with a new firmware is good idea The OP didnt mention DD-WRT, they just said Linux based, which most router IOS is certainly the Linksys/Cisco ones
    Last edited by haqking; December 13th, 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro

yes you are correct, i don’t know anything about routers. i am currently paying rent on one from time/warner cable and looking for a good replacment. Thanks to all for your input.
    Running through the field Where all my tracks will be concealed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boregard View Post
    yes you are correct, i don’t know anything about routers. i am currently paying rent on one from time/warner cable and looking for a good replacment. Thanks to all for your input.

Well check with your ISP if you can switch routers, and also any issues they will no longer support if not using their router I suspect.

And as I mentioned above if you have a fast Internet then 54g might not be enough for wireless if you are to use wireless, and if you get one that has Wireless N then to get the speed throughput you need AES encryption or it will drop to 54Mbps anyways.

Peace

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G is very easy. The chances of bricking one are small. In any event, this is old router that can be bought cheaply used. I paid $15 USD for each of mine a few years ago. Nowadays you might find them even cheaper. So what if you brick a cheap used router? You lost $15 or less? But you might learn something.

Beans

Installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G is very easy. The chances of bricking one are small. In any event, this is old router that can be bought cheaply used. I paid $15 USD for each of mine a few years ago. Nowadays you might find them even cheaper. So what if you brick a cheap used router? You lost $15 or less? But you might learn something.

yes it is, but the OP is inexperienced and doesn't know much about routers, they just want to buy one that works with cable.

If they want to do some learning and don't mind the possibility of bricking it then of course DD-WRT or similar is a good idea, but I think they just want to know if they can buy this router and if it will work with Cable, in which case the answer is yes.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Well check with your ISP if you can switch routers, and also any issues they will no longer support if not using their router I suspect.

And as I mentioned above if you have a fast Internet then 54g might not be enough for wireless if you are to use wireless, and if you get one that has Wireless N then to get the speed throughput you need AES encryption or it will drop to 54Mbps anyways.

Peace
    Pretty much. The one the OP is paying for is probably a modem/router combo (which most ISPs seem to be using nowadays), so they would need a modem in addition to the router.

I haven't bricked a router (yet), but for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and runs into problems - such as having to hex edit the firmware to get it to flash on a dlink, it can be tricky, but not really difficult.

It depends on what the user wants to do and if they are fine with the stock firmware, they should stick with the stock firmware.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast