Thread: Rosetta Stone won't execute 2011

Beans

Rosetta Stone won't execute 2011

Hi all,

Complete newby here and first time poster.

The missus has forced me into buying her Rosetta Stone Total(e). I installed it onto her PC but getting it onto my laptop is driving me mad!

I run Ubuntu 11.04. When I right click on the .exe file is says it can't be executed. Then when I go into properties I get a very similar message when I try to check the allow executable box.

Any help would be great as me and the missus are now in a race to master Mandarin!

Cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rosetta Stone won't execute 2011

Hi,

Since its an .exe file I am assuming you have installed Wine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did a bit of searching for Rosetta Stone. It can be run with wine. Do you have the latest installment for wine. If you don't, I would say try the one that you can get from repositories first, before you try to use the one that you can download from the Internet.This is another web page I had found with information on wine and Rosetta StoneI hope these help you.
    Last edited by dcsoldschool53; July 13th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is such a commonly-asked problem, but people still don't really know the answer to it. Threads about "How do I actually run stuff in Wine, it says I don't have execute permission" tend to drag on for pages.

It's actually really easy to run programs in Wine. Type 'wine ' in the terminal - yes, with a space character at the end. Now drag the program yo uwant to run into the terminal. Run the resulting terminal command. Done, easy. Just make sure that you really do want to run that program and that you trust its origins.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Speaking from personal experience, Wine is a very hit-or-miss proposition, meaning, there is no guarantee that ANYTHING will work with Wine -- as the results vary not only by Wine version, but also by the specific app and the version of the app.

The page below is the WineHQ page for Rostetta Stone:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1867

As you can see, the ratings vary from Garbage to Gold. So, your results will vary as well.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    This is such a commonly-asked problem, but people still don't really know the answer to it. Threads about "How do I actually run stuff in Wine, it says I don't have execute permission" tend to drag on for pages.

It's actually really easy to run programs in Wine. Type 'wine ' in the terminal - yes, with a space character at the end. Now drag the program yo uwant to run into the terminal. Run the resulting terminal command. Done, easy. Just make sure that you really do want to run that program and that you trust its origins.
    Thanks for the tip. I did that and got this

The file '/media/RS_TOTALe/setup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Any more ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by griffermans View Post
    Any more ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks all.

Yeah ... go to the link I posted for you and read through the testing results by clicking on the right side of the page. You may find something that fixes it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Yeah ... go to the link I posted for you and read through the testing results by clicking on the right side of the page. You may find something that fixes it.
    Thanks Mark. Well I looked at that and there are no results for my version of Rosetta with Ubuntu 11.04. I'm guessing that means greater minds than mine haven't tried this yet. Is this case closed?

Please help!!! I'm losing the great Mandarin race! Against Windows 7!!!

Beans

Thanks Mark. Well I looked at that and there are no results for my version of Rosetta with Ubuntu 11.04. I'm guessing that means greater minds than mine haven't tried this yet. Is this case closed?

Please help!!! I'm losing the great Mandarin race! Against Windows 7!!!
    You can definitely get in the trenches (testing, finding hacks/workarounds) if you want. But if it hasn't been done already and you don't really know your way around Linux that well, its just way less headache to use Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by griffermans View Post
    Thanks Mark. Well I looked at that and there are no results for my version of Rosetta with Ubuntu 11.04. I'm guessing that means greater minds than mine haven't tried this yet.
    No, it means that no one who has tested the latest version of Rosetta Stone has bothered to add their results and rating to the list. This is an opportunity for YOU to do that.
    Is this case closed?
    If none of the other results work, and you can't find something that will -- yes.

As I've tried to tell folks, Wine is NOT a miracle cure, it's a works-some-of-the-time cure, only.