Thread: Laptop and mouse scroll wheel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Laptop and mouse scroll wheel

so my desktop just died (BIOS would spontaneously corrupt) so i hooked my laptop up to my mouse and keyboard and i'm back in business. I had backtrack 5 installed on my laptop but i decided Linux Mint would be easier to use (since it boots to a graphical desktop right off the bat and actually receives updates to all its programs).

one issue i've been having is the scroll wheel on my mouse (Razer DeathAdder) seems to copy/paste the URL of the site i'm on. if i click the wheel a second time on a different page, it will load the URL of the site in my clipboard, which is very annoying.

i looked in the mouse options in the control panel, but all i get are options for touchpads like scrolling region or tapping the pad for left-click. i'd like to set my scroll-wheel to the traditional "slide-around-whichever-way-i-move-the-mouse" (i dont know what it's real name is)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Laptop and mouse scroll wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
    so my desktop just died (BIOS would spontaneously corrupt) so i hooked my laptop up to my mouse and keyboard and i'm back in business. I had backtrack 5 installed on my laptop but i decided Linux Mint would be easier to use (since it boots to a graphical desktop right off the bat and actually receives updates to all its programs).

one issue i've been having is the scroll wheel on my mouse (Razer DeathAdder) seems to copy/paste the URL of the site i'm on. if i click the wheel a second time on a different page, it will load the URL of the site in my clipboard, which is very annoying.

i looked in the mouse options in the control panel, but all i get are options for touchpads like scrolling region or tapping the pad for left-click. i'd like to set my scroll-wheel to the traditional "slide-around-whichever-way-i-move-the-mouse" (i dont know what it's real name is)
    The middle-click copy/paste is a standard feature of Linux systems, I doubt there really even is a way to disable it (not that I'd even bothered looking, it's by far the best way to copy/paste )

Anyway, since you just want to use the mouse wheel to scroll around in Firefox, the solution is easy. You can configure that in Firefox itself.

Just go to Firefox preferences, and under Advanced/General turn on the "Use autoscrolling"-option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Laptop and mouse scroll wheel

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Just go to Firefox preferences, and under Advanced/General turn on the "Use autoscrolling"-option.
    that did the trick, thanks for the help