Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 No Sound

Beans

Angry Ubuntu 11.04 No Sound

Hey People,

I am new to Ubuntu but not to Linux, usually used to RedHat. I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 laptop and most of it seems fine but i cannot get the sound to play on it.
    I have tried a few things, the obvious (unmuted, etc.), i have installed the Sound "Extras", tried removing and re-installing the alsa drivers,i have also tried adding the "options snd-hda-intel model=generic" to the alsa-base.conf file.
    Now what i have noticed when i do a "aplay -l | grep card" it returns two entries, both using Card 0. Is this causing a conflict? Here is the output:
    ~$ aplay -l | grep card
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC262 Analog [ALC262 Analog]
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]

Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Aaron.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 No Sound

use terminal and use the command

Code:
     alsamixer
    see if anything is muted... you also see if things are muted from sound preferences too from ubuntu panel. see if the right card is picked and the correct settings.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

This problem was frustrating me for ages. I then realised that if I booted into Windows (dual boot) and unmuted the sound, then booted back into ubuntu 11.04, everything was OK without modding anything. I also have the Tosh Satellite Pro A120.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

computingchap - So then... Windows' mute changed something at the hardware level?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!