Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wi fi wireless troubles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: wi fi wireless troubles

cd is a terminal command to change directory.

Code:
    cd <path to change to>
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

yes but what is that 2010 part and the _ underscore and the rest is xxx out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you look in the directory where you extracted the driver you will see a directory called that. Its a long name so it has been shortened.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

ok thanks what i did was i downloaded the drivers on my windows partition and put them where i could find them moved them in their folder to my unity desktop still in their folder i dont remember if it was a zip file or what but its accessible on the desktop all i got to do is click on it i need to figure out what to do from there i doubt there is but i was wondering if there was some way that i could place the drivers when im in my windows partition where linux could find them if that would be easier

Beans

ok i have another question if i make a directory and put my drivers in it how does my computer know to look there for the drivers to run my wireless card and what is this about apply patches ???

Beans

The installation process for a driver will install it in the proper ubuntu system folder. If you had to compile from source code, the "make install" is what installs the driver you just compiled, again in the proper ubuntu system folder.

Beans

i have my drivers in the single folder that they unzipped into labeled ralink_drivers in downloads in my home folder do i open the single folder with files and drivers and etc and other folders inside of that and make each file ,drivers etc individually by itself so nothing is inside a folder or anything at all and have all of this in downloads i think the install command is apt-get or sudo apt-get depending on if i am in root or not when i go to downloads in the terminal the only thing that it shows being in there is ralink_drivers because the folder isnt open i assume and i can get no further

Beans

Since you have unzipped the files, you need to look in the ralink_drivers everything was placed in. There should be a readme or README or something along those lines. If indeed this was source code, the normal procedure may apply:

- open a terminal window (applications/accessories/terminal)

- type:

cd Downloads/ralink_drivers <press enter>

./configure <press enter>

make <press enter>

sudo make install <press enter>

If you haven't done so already, be sure to install the build-essential package before attempting this.

BTW - I assume that when you unzipped the files it placed the expanded files in the ralink_drivers folder and that there are also subfolders there. If you merely copied them yourself you may need to start over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123