Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Tablet HELP

Beans

Android Tablet HELP

Hey Android fans... I seek your advice!

I'm planning on buying an Android tablet and I think I've narrowed my choice down to just three...

Asus Transformer

Motorola Xoom

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (not released in the UK until August)

Does anyone here own any of these? (as the Samsung Tab 10.1 is already out in the States). If you do, are you happy with it? Do you have any comments about it? Bad things to say? Are they responsive?

I'd really appreciate any feedback, as I really can't decide.

As a note about Android, I've never had any experience with the whole thing. I'm not fussed about learning it, but there's a few things I'd like to know...
    Each of these devices come with Android 3.0 Honeycomb... But when new versions of Android come out I'll be able to upgrade the OS to the new version? Or is that not the case?
    I own an iPhone, which as we all know is pretty locked down in terms of what I can fiddle with.. Can you really do anything on Android? (eg. download different on screen keyboards?)

Also, these three devices come from different manufactures, but does this mean the environment will be different? Does the manufacture add their own spin in the OS, or lock parts of it? Or is Android the same no matter what device?

Sorry for all the n00b questions, I just want to make sure that I get the right one and that I get my facts straight first!

Thanks in advance!
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Android Tablet HELP

I suggest you go and play with them in a shop ( I say play because all tablets are really just toys ) then you will get an idea of each model's look feel and ability. If you want to be productive then spend your money on a good netbook instead.

In answer to your questions:

1. Maybe - sometimes but not always
    2. Yes/Maybe - depends if you want to load a modded OS or brick your device. The market will allow all sorts of add-ons
    3. Most probably you will get the makers spin on the OS, with some parts of Android left in, some bits left out
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is the Asus transformer even out yet?

I would suggest just playing around with each one before throwing money at them.

I purchased a Viewsonic G-Tablet for less than half of a Xoom and modded it to run Cyanogenmod 7. It has nearly the same internals and does everything I wish.

Another thing I learned is that many apps built for the android phones dont always run great on tablets. they dont run the right size in many cases. Some apps are only on phones which is an annoyance.

Lastly I would say think of your need for one. The price point is the same as many laptops. I barely use my tablet and when I do I realize I could have done the same stuff on my netbook. Just really think if it will be a benefit to you in anyway, for me my tablet is just a plaything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think Motorola is awful, so that's out.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks smooth as hell, and quite capable too, but its pretty much priced exactly as the iPad.

The Asus Transformer is the real winner here, providing pretty much the same internals and coming in at a cheaper price. It's a little thicker than the Galaxy Tab, but if you don't mind that, it'd be my choice in a heartbeat.
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans

Personally, I'd try out the iPad as well. I know a few people who have bought iPads after trying the others and claiming the others were trash in comparison.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Personally, I'd try out the iPad as well. I know a few people who have bought iPads after trying the others and claiming the others were trash in comparison.

Good advice, but I'm wondering if "the others" were running Honeycomb? Trash is kind of harsh, and its the language I'd use if describing a Froyo/Gingerbread tablet
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingKnife View Post
    Good advice, but I'm wondering if "the others" were running Honeycomb? Trash is kind of harsh, and its the language I'd use if describing a Froyo/Gingerbread tablet
    Lol, that is their words. I haven't touched and iPad nor any of the others, so I can't give my impression. I have a netbook, which fits my needs well enough, but if were in the market for any of the above devices, then I would definitely give them all a shot.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Doesn't the ipad need iTunes. Not very helpful for people running only Ubuntu or Linux in general.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Doesn't the ipad need iTunes. Not very helpful for people running only Ubuntu or Linux in general.
    That wouldn't be a problem for me. I don't use my computers for music playback.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    That wouldn't be a problem for me. I don't use my computers for music playback.
    well, the point is that the ipad is essentially a large ipod Touch and as such, much of its maintenance still requires itunes.

I will admit though uRock, your advice is pertinent. I have an iPod for exactly that reason. all the android mp3 players I checked out had horrible reviews. I'm hoping that someone can really step up and compete with apple, but as of yet, it seems they have the game.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast