Thread: Manual kernel compile advantages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Manual kernel compile advantages

Hi everyone!

Could anyone suggest is it possible to get advantages from manual kernel compilation for x86 platform?

As I understand, binary kernel from repositories are compiled with the most generic options, which provides the highest compatibility?

P.S. I'm sure this question isn't new and is typical for Ubuntu newbies. However, I haven't found competent answers yet.

P.P.S. I understand problems which are caused by this non-Ubuntu way.

Thank you for attention.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Manual kernel compile advantages

In a nutshell, unless you are trying to run ubuntu on a toaster or a fridge, the only advantage in compiling your own kernel would be that you'll learn how to compile your own kernel.
    Last edited by nothingspecial; July 12th, 2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: flaky Y key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Manual kernel compile advantages

Here is index of kernels in .deb download the all.deb,headers.deb and kernel.deb and install
    in that order. Use your own 32 or 64 bit of course. Can use the sudo dpkg -i (package) in CLI
    or click on downloaded .deb package and will go through GUI. Just stating different ways for
    the new comers to understand. So if you want to practice compiling go ahead as in previous
    post stated but always easier in .deb
    #I use the 3.0 kernel in Natty because my network card driver works better in 3.0 "iwlagn" driver intel.

Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline
    Last edited by garvinrick4; July 12th, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member: