Thread: Fallout 3 and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Fallout 3 and Ubuntu

So I want to start playing Fallout 3 on my computer. I don't know much about gaming, let alone gaming with Ubuntu. I only have 2 USB ports. I have an external CD drive, and it requires 2 USB ports to run. Would I be able to copy the stuff on the Fallout 3 CD onto my computer and play from there, to free up my ports? Also, I want to get a wired Xbox 360 controller to use, would the controller work with Ubuntu? Any help would be appreciated : )

btw I've already got wine and playonlinux.
    "Only a life lived for others is worth living." - Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fallout 3 and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by domoappo View Post
    So I want to start playing Fallout 3 on my computer. I don't know much about gaming, let alone gaming with Ubuntu. I only have 2 USB ports. I have an external CD drive, and it requires 2 USB ports to run. Would I be able to copy the stuff on the Fallout 3 CD onto my computer and play from there, to free up my ports? Also, I want to get a wired Xbox 360 controller to use, would the controller work with Ubuntu? Any help would be appreciated : )

btw I've already got wine and playonlinux.
    Hm, there are those things called usb hubs if one runs out off ports.

In general you are of course able to copy the content of your DVD over to HDD or generate an ISO from the DVD. The major question is if Fallout 3 runs nicely with the copied structure or if there are any nasty CD-checks. The later might require the usage of a so called No-CD patch (which may not be discussed in the forum).

As for your Xbox controller: It should work flawlessly under ubuntu. Check the wiki. Direct support in games might be cumbersome though.
    Xubuntu 12.04 x64 // AMD E-350 (2x1.6 GHz) // 8 GB DDR3 RAM // GeForce 9500GT (1GB) with passive cooling

Beans

The performance will depend on your system as well.
    Last edited by Dlambert; July 11th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    You will need wine of course, i recommend PLAYONLINUX. http://www.playonlinux.com/en/
    Err, as pointed out in the last sentence he already installed WINE and playonlinux
    Xubuntu 12.04 x64 // AMD E-350 (2x1.6 GHz) // 8 GB DDR3 RAM // GeForce 9500GT (1GB) with passive cooling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What's a CD check and why may we not discuss the no-CD patch?
    "Only a life lived for others is worth living." - Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by domoappo View Post
    What's a CD check and why may we not discuss the no-CD patch?
    A CD check (or whatever you might call this) is often used to verify that you have the original media in your drive. There are a lot of copy protection schemes. You could check out Wikipedia and the additional links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_protection

We may not discuss no-CD patches (at least officially) because in some countries it is illegal to "find ways around copy protections". DCMA for example.

One might be smart enough to google with the right keywords.

To my best understanding the results of fallout looked pretty mixed under WINE:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=14322

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HolgerB View Post
    Err, as pointed out in the last sentence he already installed WINE and playonlinux
    Thats why i edited it so soon
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced